A quick one..What size nut? Can you help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, been using this site for so much info it's been unreal. I've purchased a house and it's undergoing refurb. I had to register to post this so here goes. Can anyone confirm what nut size this is? The pipe itself it a 1" i think. What about the size of the nut? Is it classed as 1" or 1.1/4 or what?

I need to order many things for the house, may as well order this.

Can someone let me know asap.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if it is a compression fitting from a copper pipe on a boiler or a hot water cylinder. Perhaps there is a brass or copper olive captive on the pipe in front of the nut.

You can tell us what it's for and show us the side view.

The thread on different nuts varies mostly according to the brand of the fitting it is part of. It would help to show us the fitting.

If it is a compression fitting it will not be just a nut.

Hi, thats for getting back. The pipe is 1" copper. There is an olive and a nut. Does that classify the nut as 1" too? Or 1.1/4?

Thanks!

...You can tell us what it's for...

The thread on different nuts varies mostly according to the brand of the fitting it is part of. It would help to show us the fitting.

Sponsored Links
I meant the fitting that the pipe connects to. You have not said if it is the boiler, the cylinder, or something else.

Is the pipe copper? It looks an odd colour.

Oh i see you mean. If im honest i have no idea. I'm having a through lounge done - ceiling down the lot.. and i THINK its from an old boilder that was once in the chimney breast. I'm not even sure. He said he needed this nut. Was just trying to be efficient since he takes his time with literally everything. Yes its copper, really old one. I'm not really that diy'ish.. I may just leave it to him to source.

looks like 1 inch bsp
internal dia of threads should be approx 30.7mm with 11 teeth per inch

If there's an olive, it might be a 28mm or one-inch straight connector, or an elbow, or a connection into a boiler or a cylinder.

If you buy a new Bloggs brand compression fitting, the thread might be different from the old Scroggins brand that you try to screw it on to.

It is probably very old which gives more chance of a new one not fitting. It would be much more likely to work if you knew what the fitting was and just bought a new one complete with matching nut(s)

There is a faint chance there might be a brand name on the back of the nut.

If the pipe is one-inch, the nut, which is considerably larger, will be a size or two up, so it won't be one-inch BSP.

bsp threads sizes go of the size of outside diameter of the pipe they fit

a one-inch pipe would fall through that nut. Look at the picture, the OD of the pipe isn't even touching the thread of the nut.

It only stays on because there is an olive, and a reduced diameter lip on the back face of the nut.

sorry size refers to inside diameter of pipe.
if your threads are 11 tpi and the nut is 43mm across the flats then its 1 inch bsp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back