a roofing question & a non-roofing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Log cabin has old bitumen felt tiles that are very weathered. Do I lay new felt over old, or strip off back to T&G roof, then lay the new felt?

At the base of the cabin some of the logs became rotted out and I have had to replace with treated timber infills spliced in.

But this lower edge gets a lot of water splash and I am sure more will rot if I don't do a permanent fix. So my permanent fix is to place a skirt of Bostik Flashband on the lower 200mm, wrapping it under the frame as well. Good idea?

Sponsored Links
2 solve the splashing.
Garden buildings are rarely built with longevity in mind and even less so with any design nous what so ever. The usual culprit is that these sheds are plonked on a concrete slab with a protruding toe, rather than a dedicated raised - identical building footprint - base. In other words, they don't benefit from the standard 150mm lower ground level that UK homes and extensions do.

My cabin is raised off the ground using adjustable risers onto the floor frame. I was going to wrap the Flashband underneath the frame, since the frame is raised off the ground on adjustable risers. I was also going to paint Bostik bitumen paint over the whole area where the Flashband goes as well. I hope it works!

Sponsored Links
Coat the bottom area with a silicone or better still siloxane water repellent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back