A sad reminder of why dodgy fitters and diyers are dangerous

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...bed-after-gas-blast-wrecks-homes-2122867.html

Not all the details are available yet but there is a seriously hurt pensioner in hospital and 10 others injured, caused most likely by poor workmanship.

I'm not saying DIYers are all dangerous but if your not sure get an RGI in always better safe than sorry.

If this was caused by the removal and refitting of the cooker (which is most likely the case) a competent RGI would have performed a tightness test, purge and recommissioning of the cooker stopping this from happening.

Sponsored Links
or it might have been a nail or screw through the floor or wall, and nothing at all to do with the cooker. Surely the idea of the cooker hose with bayonet fitting is that it can be undone without needing a gas fitter?

Presumably since this was a housing association property the contractors should have been Gas Safe registered, inwhich case it serves to remind everyone, even the qualified how dangerous gas can be!

As no one considered that the old lady might have not turned of the cooker :(

Sponsored Links
or it might have been a nail or screw through the floor or wall, and nothing at all to do with the cooker. Surely the idea of the cooker hose with bayonet fitting is that it can be undone without needing a gas fitter?

But this means that they are exempt from responsiblity because they are not qualified and have just put a nail through a pipe? When putting nails or screws in a wall would you not check for pipework first?

wedginald - I agree that is why I stated COMPETENT RGI.

compheat - Big coincidence if that is the case but like I said not all the details are known yet.

it's more a sad case of making the noose when you only know half the story :evil:

Not really as I did state that not all details are known yet.

I posted it to make people think about what they are doing and whether they are capable and using the correct tools, not to point blame at anyone.

I only posted it hoping that it would make people aware and not to examine the specifics of case.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/new-kitchen-probed-after-gas-blast-wrecks-homes-2122867.html

Not all the details are available yet but there is a seriously hurt pensioner in hospital and 10 others injured, caused most likely by poor workmanship.

I'm not saying DIYers are all dangerous but if your not sure get an RGI in always better safe than sorry.

If this was caused by the removal and refitting of the cooker (which is most likely the case) a competent RGI would have performed a tightness test, purge and recommissioning of the cooker stopping this from happening.

as you say not all (ie not many ) details are in yet, so why bring in dodgy engineer or DIY until we find out the facts, i have worked in many houses with dodgy joiners, builders etc etc who have damaged a pipe, and also many tenants who leave gas appliances on without lighting them, you may well be right but lets wait and see before we condemn anyone

i have worked in many houses with dodgy joiners, builders etc etc who have damaged a pipe, and also many tenants who leave gas appliances on without lighting them

Which is exactly the reason FSD's are now mandatory in Multi-Occupancy Dwellings :)

It's more than likely one of the following;

He was incompetent, had a rough weekend, and left a leak, which built up over night, the old lady entered the kitchen and flicked on a light switch and an explosive mixture of gas in air (presumably between 5-15%) mixed with the electric impulse, possibly in the region of 650-704'C (which would be the ignition temperature of Natural Gas) causing it to explode...

or

He did the job correctly, but the cooker had no safety device to prevent the entry of Gas in the absence of a flame, which then led to a 'leak of gas', which built up over night, the old lady entered the kitchen and flicked on a light switch and an explosive mixture of gas in air (presumably between 5-15%) mixed with the electric impulse, possibly in the region of 650-704'C (which would be the ignition temperature of Natural Gas) causing it to explode...

or

The engineer was competent, did his job correctly, the cooker had FSD's and was not left on, but something else happened, such as someone was cooking a deadly mixture of Bomb Ingredients, or drugs, such as Crystal Meth, which, upon chemical reaction, caused a ghastly explosion... at 7:05am :LOL:

or there could well be another reason?

but that's just my take on the matter... and who am I to comment? :LOL:

Think it was an explosion that caused the blast and damage, but then I'm not sure as no proper details yet...........

I went to a flat years ago were the the tenant left pinched the cooker & plugged the open gas pipe off with one of those wooden duffel coat button s or pegs !!

Could have been an engineer working for some company that gives them impossible work loads , under pressure all day to complete a job in ashort time , get to the next one ect ect may be ??

Me will always side with the fella at the coal face untill such time as it is shown other wise , some money making pencil pusher organising impossible work loads for engineers , they should also be held to account , more so in my veiw (maybe?)

transam said:
Me will always side with the fella at the coal face untill such time as it is shown other wise , some money making pencil pusher organising impossible work loads for engineers , they should also be held to account , more so in my veiw (maybe?)

and you and i both know that wont happen

it should but it wont

the shiny asses always walk away :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back