A simple replacement lighting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a quick question about replacing a ceiling rose. The previous owners had installed a blank rose with no light as they had taken the cable for the overhead light across the ceiling to 2 spots over a wardrobe so they became the main light operated by the wall switch.

I have removed the wardrobe and disconnected the lights and now want to fit a standard rose but can't seem to match the wires this time. I have replaced like for like before without a problem but am a total amateur and don't want to make a costly mistake.

Currently the blank rose has 3x red cable into LOOP, 2x black cable into NEUTRAL, 3x yellow/green into EARTH and 1x black inner cable/red outer cable going into LINE.

The new rose says it needs to have 2x black into NEUTRAL (fine), 2x red into LOOP with a 3rd from loop going to wall switch (is this my my 3rd red cable?) 2 x yellow/green to EARTH.

My question is what should I do with the spare Earth cable, am I right with the 3rd red cable in LOOP and is my black inner/red outer the one for LIVE connection?

I realise this is a dumb beginners question and I've probably answered it myself but I really dont like guesswork and electrics!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yep, 2 Neutrals, you've got that sussed.

Put all your earth's in the same terminal.

Put the three reds that are currently connected together into the new loop terminal.

Put the black/red cable that currently goes into line into the new 'live' terminal.

And bob's your mothers brother.

Answering questions on lighting is good for the soul and must be done occasionally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back