A simple skirting board question....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just dry-lined/plastered/painted/layed a floor in my bathroom and its time to put on the skirting boards. The gap between the bricks and the inside edge of the plaster is about 12mm. What is the best way of fitting the skirts on? As you can see, my carpentry knowledge is a bit limited.

Sponsored Links
Stevie
If I understand your post correctly, you are asking how to fit skirting if the bottom of the wall has a "void" back to the brickwork.
When I've done this before, I've packed the void at 2 ft intervals with scrap timber (plug and screws to the brickwork) and this allowed straightforward screwing of skirting to these pads. I always run a bead of caulk along the top internal edge of the skirting prior to nipping up which fills any small gaps. Simply wipe away any caulk squeezed out and job done.
Hope that helps....

Cheers lots for the tip :D - there is a 1.5cm void space behind the bottom of the skirts beneath the lower edge of the pasterboard so no nails would be of no use. I'll try out the battening next week!

Sponsored Links
With a new wall isn't it common to run a levelled and flat to a string-line batten, just below where top edge of skirting will be, as plaster guidance, which is the first fix for skirting board ? plaster to the batten, fix skirting board to batten.
P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back