A Soft Test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When if doing a soft test on an rcd protected ring how long doe the test have to be taken for?

20mS?
30mS?
40mS?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
basic said:
When if doing a soft test on an rcd protected ring how long doe the test have to be taken for?

20mS?
30mS?
40mS?

Thanks in advance

:confused: AFAIK in practice the suggested test period should not exceed 2s, although this can be extended for time delay RCDs. I don't know if there are any regs specifying this.

Thanks for that. I'm a third year apprentice and I could'nt for the life of me find anything on
"Soft Testing" in any literature I own including GN3, OSG, REGS

Thanks Again

Sponsored Links
A soft test is when your attempting to do an Earth Fault Loop Impedance Test and the Rcd keeps tripping before the measurement can be taken, hence you do a Soft test!

Soft Test - A low test current (15mA) should be applied for 2S, this will then give the Earth Fault Loop Impedance Test result, which can be checked by adding the R1 +R2 +Ze = Zs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back