A Solar PIR light that doesn't stay on all the time, do they exsist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
They are readily available. An example can be found here.

they also werent what I expected as they stay on all the time but then get brighter when someone passes by them.

Then you didn't read the listing carefully the link you posted explains how they work.

"the weak light will automatically turn on at night when you open the switch, when the sensor detects the human body, the high-brightness light will turn on."

Last edited:
I know it was my fault for not reading the advert properly. Ive seen that B&Q kind on ebay for around £10 but ideally wanted something smaller and less obvious.

Thanks

Until I read the actual posts, my answer to just the topic question would have been:

"Yes, all of them - for most of the year none of them will last through the night."

:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
"the weak light will automatically turn on at night when you open the switch, when the sensor detects the human body, the high-brightness light will turn on."
Close the switch, surely?

Close the switch, surely?

I came across some the looked rather similar a few weeks back. With the switch 'open' the lights didn't operate at all, the instructions suggested that you could leave them switched off for several days for maximum charging.......fine if you don't need to use them for a few days :rolleyes:

With the switch 'closed' then the lights worked as described by the OP. Extremely dim when it got dark, then brightening up to dim, when the PIR detected motion.

I have one of this type of light outside my front door. From now until April I will have to swap the batteries every day, but it's worth it to be able to see the keyhole at night! (To install a mains-powered light is more trouble than it's worth!)

I bet its from china too.
It may be made in China, but it's being sold by a UK business, with a reputation to be concerned about and, more importantly, subject to UK product safety and consumer protection legislation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back