PIR sensor opinions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking to fit a sensor light into our porch, but there are no sensor light (combined) untis that are to our taste. So I have thought about fitting one of these, at just about waist height (to prevent any unwanted triggers by passers by)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIR-MOTIO...den_Lighting&hash=item1c18fe183b#ht_998wt_721

and using it to switch what can be any light of our choice in a position where we would like it.
firstly are these type any good ? and can they fitted to a slimline surface mounted pattress.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
and using it to switch what can be any light of our choice .

Be aware that switch dont reguire a neutral, therefore it relies on a fitting with a suitable lamp to ensure it works ok

If your wiring in new, one that uses a neutral may be a better option

Also, that FleaBay PIR is not suitable for outside use.
Waist height isn't going to work too well. You need it about 2 metres up. Use masking to reduce the detection range.

Sponsored Links
Waist height isn't going to work too well. You need it about 2 metres up. Use masking to reduce the detection range.
Another issue is that, if (as per the common situation) there is a straight path at right angles to the house going up to the porch, then a PIR located in or near the porch is not going to be very sensitive to people walking up the path (i.e. directly towards the PIR). It would be better if the PIR could be located appreciably to the left or right of the porch/path, so that people walking up the path would, at least to some extent, move across the PIR's field of detection.

Kind Regards, John

Great advice guys, I forgot to mention that the porch is closed in and the reason for waist height is literally to detect entry to the porch and switch a light to illuminate the porch itself to aid opening the front door at night etc etc, its not intended to detect anyone approaching as the outside pir light caters for that....The Danley option seems to be the way forward thanks for your advice

Great advice guys, I forgot to mention that the porch is closed in and the reason for waist height is literally to detect entry to the porch and switch a light to illuminate the porch itself to aid opening the front door at night etc etc, its not intended to detect anyone approaching as the outside pir light caters for that....The Danley option seems to be the way forward thanks for your advice
Why not just a switch operated by opening of the outer door (I presume that's what you mean by 'closed in'), then?

Kind Regards, John

basically its about being able to hide any wiring. the wall the sensor and light will(might) be fitted to backs onto my garage, so any wiring will only be seen in the garage, as I will drill holes behind the fittings through to the garage. getting a cable to the door means visible cables.......as i say the danley method looks to be the answer, albeit an expensive one.

basically its about being able to hide any wiring. the wall the sensor and light will(might) be fitted to backs onto my garage, so any wiring will only be seen in the garage, as I will drill holes behind the fittings through to the garage. getting a cable to the door means visible cables.......as i say the danley method looks to be the answer, albeit an expensive one.
Oh, Ithought you meant a light in the porch,simply to facilitate findingthe keyholeof the inner door at night. If that were the case, one type of option to consider might be a batery-operated light (it presumably won't often be on), maybe even solar-charged, with a door switch at the top of the door - that ought to require minimal wiring.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back