A stuck screw in kitchen unit door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. The knob on my sister's kitchen units is of the type in the pic (I just pulled this pic off the web). The knob won't screw on although it WILL accept a new screw which suggests the existing screw is damaged in some way.

The head of the existing screw isn't flush with the back of the door - it's 'sunk' but I can tell that the crosshead is worn away. I can't screw it out and it won't easily push out, either.

I could try knocking it out from the front by using an awl and hammer but I can see the awl slipping and leaving a nasty scratch. Is there a recommended way of tackling this problem?

Many thanks if you can assist.
screw.jpg

Sponsored Links
Superglue the knob back on? or tap the old screw out and if needed use an oversized replacement

Tap it back with a hammer enough to grip the head with pliars and twist it out ,. If your worried about damaging face make hole in piece if card or milk container and slip over thread ti protect it

Save up and buy a new, longer screw. There is a fair chance that it will go deep enough into the knob to grip the thread. You can dislodge the old screw by hitting it with a hammer.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
To get the old screw out, grip the visible thread with some pliers and turn clockwise....the screw will undo itself enough for you to continue from inside the door.
You say the screw is recessed....its probably dug itself in and made its own counterbore. You can either deepen the counterbore to allow more of the old screw to become visible or preferably use a new screw, cut to length.
Its likely to be a 5mm screw.
John :)

Job done, my thanks to you all.

John – not enough was protruding to get a grip with pliers so had to knock the screw backwards.

Lostinthelight – milk container,great tip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back