A tad confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while ago we had a BT/Openreach guy investigate why the internet kept dropping out. Some time later I found that none of the phone extensions worked. At the time did not worry me as we use a cordless setup. Now as we are doung this and that to the property I thought I would re- instate the extensions, easier said than done. The BT guy replaced whatever box was on the wall woth a new 5C master socket. I have managed to get most extensions going but am a bit confused about the wiring in the property.
The 5C unit is connected as such A white/green and B green/white
This was how I found it yesterday with no other connections, ie the outgoing cable just dangling in the box.
Looking on the internet I wired up the outgoing cable as follows

2 blue/white 3 orange/white and 5 white/blue

Now here is the odd part. This outgoing cable disappears into a wall and have managed to access it in a ceiling void. Originally this cable looped into and out of a phone socket. As the kitchen is being gutted I have just connected the cables together. All the extensions work but only if I connect all 6 wires, just connected the blue/white, orange/white and the white/blue
result in nothing.
How does this work? I have 3 wires leaving the 5C box but I need all 6 connected further down the line.
And finally there was an extension connected via a 2 way splitter using the phone outlet socket on the 5C box. This was fed using a 4 wire cable. I cannot get this to work by wiring directly to the 3 wire setup.

Sponsored Links
You only need 3/2 for extensions ....connections 2/5 plus 3 for bell ring ( older phones) 3 is not all way required

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the wiring has been got at in the past as one extension has just connections on 2/3/5 whereas another has wiring on all 6 connections. My problem is that the colours do not match 3 will be white/orange on one and orange white on another. I have 8 extensions in total of which 6 currently work so will have a play with the others, at least I know am only bothered with 2/3/5.

Regards

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back