A visit from Housing Officer is gonna cost me £££££££'s.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all, recently had a Housing Officer around at 3 bed house we rent to Uni students. I've spent ££££'s on this place the last 5 yrs to get it upto scratch, and look after it well. For a bit of context.......this is a circa 1880's terraced, Yorkshire Stone + slate tiled house in a pretty bad area near the Uni. Alot of the local houses are rented out + most are in a poor state. The officer said nothing prompted the visit, other than Council records showing it's a House in Multiple occupation (2-3 students stay there per yr).

Now Mr Housing Officer has made the following comments?
-Wants a handrail to front entrance steps (goes up approx 750mm in total), nobody else has them.
- An additional double socket above Kitchen worktop, why isn't 1no. enough? They've never overloaded them.
- 30 minute fire resistance to cellar ceiling to protect escape over. I dropped the the old plaster + lathe ceiling last yr but didn't re-plasterboard under ground floor joists. What's the cheapest method of achieving the 30 minute fire resistance? (Ideally don't want to plasterboard the whole cellar ceiling because of cost).
- A suitable fence to rear garden. There's a 2m drop from the rear wall down to neighbour (a unused warehouse). Again nobody had done anything, yet I've got to fence off a small portion of the wall because it's on my land?

He also wants a hard wired fire alarm system + Fire Doors to all habitable rooms. This I kind of understand, although it's more than what Building Regs asks for.

Why does it feel like I'm getting picked on? The other houses in the area are an absolute joke. I get all the basics done (Gas Safety Cert / Elec check / Insurance's etc) but have now got a huge bill of works. Everything in the house is upto Building Regs on an exsting dwelling.

Is all this legally enforced? Are there subsequent inspections? Only when all the works are done can I rent out again?

I know I should speak to the Housing Officer, but I'm pi**ed off right now........got a huge bill for what I feel are moslty uselss works and want a bit of background knowledge if anyone can offer?

Sponsored Links
It can only be an HMO if there are 3 or more tennants living there, and if they form more than one household sharing a kitchen, bathroom or toilet.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Privaterenting/Repairsandstandards/DG_189200

If you stick to 2 students rather than the 2-3 you mention, then it can never be considered to be an HMO and you won't have to comply with all the HMO regs.

Or, let it out to a family who form just the one household.

Thanks for that Inky

The officer is wanting all the works even if it's a single occupied house (ie, a single family or 2 students). He only distinguishes on the Fire Doors to all habitable rooms OR only to the downstairs Living Room / Kitchen as the difference between single or HMO.

So basically the cost of 3 fire doors is the difference, otherwise he says it all needs doing.

Your local authority will publish their own guidlines as to what equates to an HMO and the standards that need to be complied with. I daresay this will be online somewhere on your LA's website.

Sponsored Links
The kitchen fire door/hardwired is standard for renting. LAs and other public housing association installed kitchen firedoors/hardwired smoke alarms (many moons ago) on all their single tenancy properties . However I personal know of a few private rents were there is no firedoor or hardwired smoke alarm :eek:

It's a bit sickening to think that you are being 'picked on' while others just disregard safety measures. I suppose you have to think of your property in a similar manner as a small hotel or a B&B. I know this isn't much comfort but you should look on it as an investment, as these improvements will/should protect your investment, in case of a fire etc. And not forgetting your property's insurance and value ;)

GL

Thanks for the reply keithsmith

The standards the LA have to meet for a rented property are not in dispute here. My point is why are they picking on private landlords? Almost 99% of landlords I know don't have Fire Doors or a hard wired fire alarm system on a 2 storey 3 bed house.

Why should the house be considered similar to a B&B or Hotel, the rent is pennies in comparison and it's a private landlord house for students.

The value won't be effected, as the local area is a joke.....it's the type of place you wouldn't want your kids out on an evening. In 10 yrs of buying buildings insurance, I havn't been asked once about the presence of Fire Doors or a hard wired fire alarm system.......battery operated are considered perfectly acceptable. They don't ask if the house is upto a certain LA standard, they just insure it.

So how can the LA enforce this?

If it's not an HMO, the short answer is - they can't.

You don't need a licence to rent out a house, you aren't accountable to the Local Authority in any way. (except, of course, Environmental Health requirements and the like). They don't even have any right of access to the property for the purposes of inspection.

Just ask them under what Act, Statutory Powers, or Regulations, they intend to make you comply with their list. Then tell them to go **** themselves.

Have you found the online guidelines that dictate exactly what is and is not to be considered an HMO by your LA and what is required yet?

The LAW states that an HMO must have at least 3 tennants forming at least 2 households (and then goes on to define what constitutes a household).

Doesn't matter what some Housing Officer at a local council thinks, if there were only 2 tennants it CANNOT be an HMO ,so he has no authority over it at all. Even with 3 tennants there are situations where it could either not be an HMO, or be a small HMO not requiring an HMO licence.

Thanks for replies all

Just found this on the LA website HMO page:

Landlords, if you own a house which is 3 or more floors (including occupied basements and attics) and let to 5 or more separate tenants not in the same family group, it must be licensed by the Council.

My house is a 2 storey 3 bed, it does have a cellar floor but it's used for storage + is not habitable / occupied. I'm well confused now, why is this Housing Officer after my house then?

I think the next step is to ring the LA HMO team + get some anonymous information. I don't think I need a HMO liscence, any body disagree with my reading of the info?

Sounds about right to me.

A house with 3 or more unrelated tennants CAN be considered to be an HMO - but not one requiring a licence.

Sounds to me like you've got a Housing Officer who either doesn't know his a**e from his elbow, or just likes throwing his weight around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back