What's it gonna cost me?

Use the registered electrician's web site.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk
He MUST NOT use that site unless he is in England or Wales as the website is otherwise completely invalid. It is only appropriate for use in England and Wales as indeed is stated on the site.
Not strictly true, there is nothing to say that those electricians listed cannot perform work in other areas of the UK. Although the procedures with regards to compliance and notification would be a little different.

Sponsored Links
I wasn't suggesting that those listed cannot work elsewhere - I was pointing out that it merely lists those registered as Domestic Installers for the purposes of Building Regulations in England and Wales only and excludes Approved Contractors not registered as Domestic Installers. Therefore the site is invalid and null and void outside of England and Wales as indeed is stated on the site.

Use the registered electrician's web site.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk
He MUST NOT use that site unless he is in England or Wales as the website is otherwise completely invalid. It is only appropriate for use in England and Wales as indeed is stated on the site.
Not strictly true, there is nothing to say that those electricians listed cannot perform work in other areas of the UK. Although the procedures with regards to compliance and notification would be a little different.

Yup - that's right - Nottingham. Good to know it's still a relevant place to search!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Phew, at least we have got over that hurdle! I hope you find someone.

Mind you, I do not understand what Risteard is saying and why he has a bee in his bonnet over this.
The website that i have linked to http://www.competentperson.co.uk does NOT say that it is England and Wales only.
As I said above, it lists also registered electricians in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

There is another registered site http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk which does indeed say England and Wales, but that is not the site I pointed you to!

It is often quite frustrating, when trying to help people, when there is sniping going on from the sidelines. And especially when the sniper does not provide any actual assistance him or herself.

The website that i have linked to http://www.competentperson.co.uk does NOT say that it is England and Wales only.
As I said above, it lists also registered electricians in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

There is another registered site http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk which does indeed say England and Wales, but that is not the site I pointed you to!
It uses the same list and makes clear that this is for English and Welsh Building Regulations compliance (so-called "Part P"). I believe the sites ARE connected.

Furthermore as I have pointed out it DOES NOT list registered Electricians in Scotland or the north of Ireland - IT ONLY LISTS THOSE REGISTERED AS DOMESTIC INSTALLERS. There is NO such designation as "Domestic Installer" here so it is invalid to use that as a basis for any list here. Those so listed here are listed because their particular Area Engineer ticked that box on their form - those of us whose Area Engineers did not tick an irrelevant box are therefore not listed on that site.

Once again, to reiterate - THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "DOMESTIC INSTALLER" OUTSIDE OF ENGLAND AND WALES AND THEREFORE ANY SUCH LIST IS INVALID AND NULL AND VOID HERE AND IN SCOTLAND. Any alternative opinion on this matter is completely incorrect and invalid.

Only the NICEIC website and the ECA website are valid for finding Registered Contractors in the north of Ireland. This is a FACT (notwithstanding the two Napit members - Napit is not particularly a recognised scheme here).

So. You still have not helped the OP in ANY way.

In the spirit of trying to assist Chris, Where do YOU suggest the best place for him to find a local registered electrician?
No restriction of trade now, you can't just say NICEIC.

No restriction of trade now, you can't just say NICEIC.
If you're going to use lists only valid in England and Wales, then I can advise what is valid here. Therefore NICEIC (Approved Contractor) or ECA like I said.

Although none of this is relevant in this case as we have established that the OP is in England.

But people really MUST STOP quoting an INCORRECT site when it isn't clear that the person in question is in England or Wales as happens all to often here.

I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO POINT OUT THAT THE SITE QUOTED IS INVALID OUTSIDE ENGLAND AND WALES (AS CLEARLY STATED WITHIN THAT SITE) EVERY TIME THAT IT IS MENTIONED WHERE IT IS CLEAR THAT THE INSTALLATION IS NOT IN ENGLAND AND WALES, OR WHERE IT IS UNCLEAR WHERE THE INSTALLATION IS.

Yes, but apart from perhaps those who may live in Scotland near the border, surely no one is going to call an English or Welsh electrician if they don't live there - no matter what site they are looking at - and vice versa.

Perhaps the forum should be reclassified to Electrics - England. Even Wales has different rules.

Yes, but apart from perhaps those who may live in Scotland near the border, surely no one is going to call an English or Welsh electrician if they don't live there - no matter what site they are looking at - and vice versa.
You don't appear to be capable of understanding the point.

THE SITE ONLY LISTS THOSE IN SCOTLAND OR IN THE NORTH OF IRELAND WHO ARE REGISTERED AS "DOMESTIC INSTALLERS" EVEN THOUGH THERE IS NO SUCH DESIGNATION IN EITHER PLACE. THEREFORE APPROVED CONTRACTORS WHO SHOULD BE INCLUDED DO NOT APPEAR ON THE LIST. THEREFORE THE USE OF THE LIST OUTSIDE OF ENGLAND AND WALES IS WRONG AND SUGGESTS TO THOSE NOT IN THE KNOW THAT REGISTERED CONTRACTORS AREN'T REGISTERED. THEREFORE THE LIST MUST NEVER BE USED OUTSIDE OF ENGLAND AND WALES.

That I may have misunderstood is a possibility which in no way indicates that I am incapable.

Anyway:

...but it does list those who are registered and able to self-certify - the nature of the list; that is what it lists.
There are 'Approved Contractors' who are not registered for self-certification because they don't want to be.

In the context of this thread and it being offered to the OP it is therefore valid.

It is only the self-certifying bodies who call the above electricians 'Domestic Installers' for that purpose.

Also anyway:

This only started because you didn't notice the OP had included his location, so all irrelevant.

...but it does list those who are registered and able to self-certify - the nature of the list; that is what it lists.
Can you not see how that is hugely misleading given that self-certification of compliance with the Building Regulations is never required here?

It may be, but that is for your province to sort out.

I have commented before that, for example, in the case of Wales which after devolution decides to do things differently, it is not upto the English to note on every instruction "Except in Wales".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back