What's it gonna cost me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys - Thanks in advance for any advice! I'm posting here as I'm mindful that places like RatedPeople charge tradesmen to quote and I don't want them to incur costs before I'm serious about getting work done....

I've been given advice by a friend that used to be an electrician on what I need to get sorted for renting out a 3-storey 1920's terrace house in Radford to make it a House of Multiple Occupancy - 4 rooms total.

- Replace fusebox with new
- Split upstairs and downstairs lighting circuit
- Rewire outside light in yard
- Install mains powered fire system = 6 smoke alarms and 1 heat sensor as follows - smoke alarm for top (2nd) floor bedroom/hallway area, one for each of the 1st floor bedrooms, one in ground floor bedroom, one for ground floor hallway near front door, one for living room, one in cellar and heat sensor for kitchen.
- Certify everything

I'm initially looking for a typical cost, then I can work out what I'm doing!

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
You may want to include CO detectors (if you have gas appliances) and individual metering.
And you don't really split upstairs from downstairs. You load the RCDs if a split board? So that if one circuit fails then it is still possible to have that area lighted.
So you split the circuits to accommodate that!

The best method is by getting a quote would be to actually contact 3 trading electricians in your area. It is impossible to calculate/estimate/guesstimate an informed quote without seeing the property first, there are all sorts variables to be considered that do not come to light until the property is seen. And stay away from the ratedpeople website!!!!!!!!

Use the registered electrician's web site. Its free, and all of the listed electricians are qualified and registered to a CPS scheme.

http://www.competentperson.co.uk

And I agree, stay away from ratedpeople and other 'trade' websites. The only qualification many of those require is just a handful of ££ from the tradesperson.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps!

A friend of a friend who used to be a spark 3 years ago looked at it all and suggested he do the work for ~£700 including materials and getting his old boss who's still in the trade to check and certify it all afterwards for £150 = total £850. I didn't want to waste other tradesmen's time with coming out to quote, but obvs wanted to work out if that was a good deal.

Any thoughts?

Chris, that ain't legal. Its the spark who does the work who has to CERTIFY that the work HE has designed, installed and tested meets the requirements of BS7671.
He also has to notify the work to the local authority. He has to be a member of a CPS to do this, or raise a case with LABC and pay them a couple of hundred quid for the privilege.

If someone else signs it that is fraud.

Further, the FIRE ALARM system will need to be installed and certified in accordance withBS5839. Read The Landlords Act. The local council, and the fire safety officer will need to see compliance with this.

As you are setting out on an HMO, where YOU have a duty of care to the residents, I strongly advise you not to take short cuts on this. If something goes wrong, its your chipolata on the block.

Last edited:
Thanks - that's good to know!

Obvs as a "civilian" the detail of these things and the regs are out of my knowledge sphere. I'll get some quotes from the competent person website. As you say - I don't want my chipolata on the block!

Cheers

Before you go any further, I suggest you do some Googling on what your obligations is as an HMO Landlord.
There's lots of stuff like this
http://www.aldermore.co.uk/media/2497/aldermore_beginners_landlord_guide.pdf
Also contact your local council, you'll need a licence from them to set up an HMO. There may be things they will expect you to do. Better to plan for those rather than have to add them at the last minute.

I don't want my chipolata on the block!
Indeed! It could be painful!

I am surprised someone in the trade, as recent as 3 years ago, does not know the legal requirements of electrical installations, and I am also surprised they are willing to take £750.00 off a friend, knowing they have done them a bad turn!
Maybe that is why they no longer trade as a sparky??????

Last edited:
Cheers for the added info - I'm one of those "reluctant landlords" you hear about - had to move for family reasons, can't sell old place so need to rent it to cover overheads. All of it is a brave new world to me!

Use the registered electrician's web site. Its free, and all of the listed electricians are qualified and registered to a CPS scheme.

http://www.competentperson.co.uk

And I agree, stay away from ratedpeople and other 'trade' websites. The only qualification many of those require is just a handful of ££ from the tradesperson.
He MUST NOT use that site unless he is in England or Wales as the website is otherwise completely invalid. It is only appropriate for use in England and Wales as indeed is stated on the site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back