Best route for gas from meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all (First post here)..

I'm in the process of buying my first house (after over 10 years of renting!) and it looks like I've bought a real doozy.

One of the first tasks, is to install mains gas.

The property is a 60's end terrace, with a concrete ground floor. I want a gas box on the front (perhaps buried) of the house, rather than the side, as we've plans to extend that way in a few years. However that leaves the issue of getting the gas from the front of the house, to the rear, which is where the kitchen, and hopefully the boiler, will be.

So what would be the best way to get the gas from the meter, to the kitchen?

I guess one option would be be to chase out the concrete floor, which doesn't strike me as a huge amount of fun.

I'm going to be chasing out a fair bit of the walls as the electrics also need a lot of work, could I run up the inside wall to the ceiling/floor void and through the house that way, dropping down in a kitchen wall?

Are there considerations with regard to accessibility to the pipework?

Before anyone worries too much, I'll be getting a gas-safe approved fitter to do the lions-share of the work, but I want to be able to make realistic requests of him.

thanks for any thoughts..

Sponsored Links
Taking the gas up to run under the upstairs floor is the best compromise.

Probably on the surface of the wall though.

The important feature is to ensure the pipe is large enough. Probably 28mm but will be calculated by the RGI according to the powr of your appliances.

Whats a "doozy" ?

Tony

Taking the gas up to run under the upstairs floor is the best compromise.

Probably on the surface of the wall though.

The important feature is to ensure the pipe is large enough. Probably 28mm but will be calculated by the RGI according to the powr of your appliances.

Whats a "doozy" ?

Tony

Doozy - http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/doozy

Surface mounting the pipe would be less than desirable as I'm trying to hide all the pipework, and I'm not sure I'll be able to chase deep enough for a 28mm pipe.

No Agile means run the gas pipe up the ourtside wall, then through the wall and under the upstairs floor boards and then to kitchen, sounds the best way to me.

Sponsored Links
No Agile means run the gas pipe up the ourtside wall, then through the wall and under the upstairs floor boards and then to kitchen, sounds the best way to me.

Ah, right. Not ideal, as the front of the house has fairly 'clean' lines so far.

There is the possibility of needing to drop central heating pipes down the same wall to supply a radiator, I guess I could locate all the pipes in the same spot, and then form a false buttress around it or something - would there be an issue with this approach?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back