Cost of Moving Gas Meter & Chasing Pipes?

Sponsored Links
My point was that if it was a water job £200 is about right why is gas a bigger expense? Is it because you have to pay certain permissions/schemes?

£200 is about right based on what? Have you dictated the price for your kitchen to the chippy too?

Sponsored Links
One I was involved with cost the owner £900 for a seemingly smaller job of moving the gas meter from under stairs to a box on the outside front wall.

I had to then fit a gas pipe from that meter, under the floor, to connect to the gas carcass at the old meter position. My charge was a fraction of the gas supplier's charge!

Tony

I do have to say the way they did the job was so time consuming that it is not surprising that they charged £900.

First one man fitted the plastic box on the wall outside! [ 0.5 hours ]

Another came and broke up the concrete and connected to the gas pipe and brought it up into the box. [ 2.5 hours ]

Another came and fitted the old meter he removed from inside the house. [ 0.5 hours ]

Another came and concreted the surface below the meter box. [ 1.0 hour ]

So four different people each doing just one task.

An independent would have done all four tasks himself.

EDIT. I have added the approximate time on site it might take to do each of the tasks, assuming the tools and materials were brought with them. Probably including time to drink the coffee the householder made for them.

Last edited:
It OK lads, we've two top class men answering these Gas questions. So you'd best just leave it there.

One in fact is one of the top 100 Gas Engineers in the country!!
The other one has Google at his disposal, so his unquestionably knowledge is excellent.

£edit is the usual i pay to have service pipe alterations by an ex transco gang now independent service layers.

Last edited by a moderator:
£200 is about right based on what? Have you dictated the price for your kitchen to the chippy too?
Budget for the entire kitchen is £2000 - including units, tiles, plumbing, electrics. This gas meter is like a roadkill horse lying in the way of your shopping trip! Pay someone to move it, but not 50% of your groceries! You might as well take another route.

If it can't be moved for a good price I'll just have to build the units around it, which is gonna take some planning because I was gonna have a drawer unit where those pipes stick out - I believe the drawers would hit those pipes when closed (didn't buy drawer unit yet so can't measure).

House is either going to be sold or turned into a rental accommodation so it makes no sense to throw away a grand over this. Either way one gasman is coming later to do a quote so we will see. Trying to get hold of the £350 guy too.

House is either going to be sold or turned into a rental accommodation so it makes no sense to throw away a grand over this. Either way one gasman is coming later to do a quote so we will see. Trying to get hold of the £350 guy too.

A gasman working on behalf of the National Grid?

£2000 seems low unless you're doing the rest of the work yourself.

you need to splash some cash

Last edited by a moderator:
If it can't be moved for a good price I'll just have to build the units around it, which is gonna take some planning because I was gonna have a drawer unit where those pipes stick out - I believe the drawers would hit those pipes when closed (didn't buy drawer unit yet so can't measure).

This could save you almost £200 !

Fit the drawer unit but shorten the drawers slightly so they do not interfere with the meter behind!

Nice advice Tony. The meter reader and any RGI wanting to do a gas rate or TT will probably want to buy you a drink.

#

Of friggin hemlock

My point was that if it was a water job £200 is about right why is gas a bigger expense? Is it because you have to pay certain permissions/schemes?
Water can be done by anyone, whereas the work you're proposing must be carried out by the gas transporter or approved contractor - large companies with massive overheads and a need to keep their engineers expensive qualifications and gas registration fees up to date and paid

Last edited:
I'll just have to build the units around it, which is gonna take some planning because I was gonna have a drawer unit where those pipes stick out - I believe the drawers would hit those pipes when closed (didn't buy drawer unit yet so can't measure).

House is either going to be sold or turned into a rental accommodation .

Don't do too much building around it - the valve on the left hand pipe is an emergency control valve which must be permanently accessible and operable without the use of tools and without needing to take a drawer out. If it isn't, you won't get a gas safety certificate which means it won't be rentable and may not be saleable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back