A washing machine a bouncy floor and a concrete slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our washing machine (a Miele) can be felt or heard throught the whole house when on spin. It was fine in our last house on a concrete floor but in this one it seems the wooden floor is more bouncy than normal.

We've had Miele out to check the machine and taking it outside onto the driveway cures it - you can balance a glass of water on it no problem.

I've cross braced the joists underneath and it's made a little difference but not enough. It's sitting next to a gas boiler and shaking a gas appliance probably isn't too good an idea in the long run. :eek:

The Miele engineer said we'd need to pour a concrete block for the washing machine to sit on. We can raise the counter enough to do this and I was thinking of making it 1200mmx600mm as I figured the wider it was, the less rocking motion it could have.

I've never seen a concrete block on a wooded floor though so a couple of thoughts;

1. How deep should it be to do it's job and to avoid breaking?

2. I'm presuming I should make a frame from wood, but do I pour it straight on the floor or line it with plastic e.g. blue polythene?

3. Just a standard concrete mix will do?

4. Would pouring a thinner layer of concrete and topping it with a smooth flat paving slab work as well or better and would that slow down the setting of the concrete?

Sponsored Links
Are you thinking of putting the concrete onto the floor boards, if thats a yes I cant see how that will help.You might as well sit it on paving stones.
I would have thought you need a concrete block remote from the joists.

The Miele engineer apparently said to lay it on top of the existing floor and this would cure the problem.
Unfortunately I wasn't there and he didn't leave much in detail.

While I agree an isolation platform would be the perfect cure, this isn't possible without fairly major structural work - removing the joists, creating an opening with extra joists/steel etc.

A slab on the floor should act as a large mass damper at least and if double width should resist the left to right torque (rocking) more too.

Just a larger version of how I mounted the shower pump really which was a 300x300mm paving stone sitting on top of a layer of rockwool, on top of the floor in the loft - this has extra isolation though but even without the rockwool made a big difference.

Sponsored Links
Try it with soime paving slabs first, you don't wanna go and make a new conc slab just to find out that you still have the problem.

noseall said:
Miele! ££££££££££.

bet you can afford a whole new floor.

Not that expensive really, I hunted around and paid less than retail @ £679 with a 10 year parts and labour warranty. Over the long term, it's not a bad deal at all. We had a Bosch last time and it lasted 7 years which was pretty good but the newer ones aren't built anything like as well.

Already fitted part of a new floor, 1" thick redwood as per the original spec. the odd thing is, the joists in the house are 4"x3" instead of the more normal 6"x2", I guess this is why we're getting flex problems.
the flooring planks only cost about £35 IIRC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back