changing a wooden floor to concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- My new house has a wooden floor in the kitchen, which is 2.4 x 2.4m (the rest of the kitchen is an extension and has a concrete floor).

My washing machine is literally shaking its-self apart on the floor as there is too much movment. I know its not the machine as in the old house the machine was fine on concrete floor- very quiet :p

So, i'm going to take up the wooden floor and fit a concrete floor instead- the problem is all the pipes under the floor. There is hot and cold water, central heating and gas for the cooker, and electric.

:?: Is there a ready-made channelling solution that can be used and will take the weight of a washing machine foot (e.g. not plastic) or is it a case of building channels from wood batten in the concrete and fitting a floor board as a lid ?

Sponsored Links
Well after 3 yrs, i'm actually planning on doing this this weekend now, but, I'm only doing a slab 1200 x 600 under the machine as the pipework will be a nightmare.

I'm thinking of building a block wall under the area up to 2" under the existing joists as it is 2-3ft deep, laying blocks flat on top of the wall to give an area on to which i can pour concrete that will surround the joists 2" under them, flush at the top. Is this ok? Effectively, the joists will then be sitting on top of a 6 inch concrete slab.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back