lowering a concrete floor to match existing wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an extension that has a concrete floor with badly crumbling screed (i think thats what it is) about 2 inches thick connecting to the original wooden floor of my kitchen.

the problem is that the wooden floor is approx 4inches higher where it joins the extension than at the start of the room.

I can fix the wooden floor as this was simply a building fault in the 1920's (I've already fixed another room with the same problem and laid a new floor) but I'm not sure how to level - or even if I can level the concrete floor to match so that I can tile throughout

I can easily remove the screed but that still leaves me with about a 1 inch difference.

when the floors are level I will need to create a channel to hold hot and cold pipes. Whats the best way for me to level the two floors and create the channel? I've looked at hiring various concrete scrabblers/planers but am not sure what the best solution would be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Not too sure on what you mean here. Your maths seem to be a bit out.
You say the wooden floor is 4" higher than the concrete?
But, if you remove the 2" screed of the concrete, you're left with a 1" difference? (If it's an old house, what 'appears' to be 'screed' may actually be the dpc)
Not wanting to appear thick, but surely that's a difference of 6"?
Are you saying that you need to level the wooden floor to get rid of the 4" height difference? (That's a hell of a slope!)
After which, you'll have 1" to make up when the old screed is removed?
If so, it seems to me the only option is to cut out channels in the exposed concrete and lay your pipes (what kind and what for depends on how you lay them) and then screed over to the level of the floorboards.
But, you don't want to be tiling on top of floorboards! These need taking up and plywood laying in their place - or plywood screwed over the top.
Which increases the depth of your screed, but decreases the depth of your channels.
This is another can of worms.
You'll find loads of advice about floor-tiling if you use the search option.
For any other advice, ask away.
My brain hurts now. ;)

thanks for pointing out the error of my maths, what I meant was that the concrete is 4 inches higher than the wooden floor, there is 2 inches of screed which is crumbling. If I remove the screed that leaves a 1 inch difference betwwen the concrete floor which is higher than the original wooden floor.

the concrete floor was laid as part of an extension in 1986 but was bodged quite badly as the cabinets were put in before the screed so a panel had to be cut in the floor to allow the washing machine to get under the work tops!! (I've spent the last two years putting right some major bodges from the last owners)

Anyway - the 4 inch slope on the wooden floor (over 4.5m) was a build fault in the 1920s where the underlying concrete was uneven and instead of graduating the floor supports they simply put them all in at the same height (2 bricks). This is only in two rooms of the house and I have already completely replaced the floor in another room opposite which is how I know the measurements.

Any help greatly appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back