A4 slit on top of door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have some sensitive documents that I would like to hide in my house. It's nothing illegal but I would like it kept from unwanted eyes.

I had the idea to make a slit in an A4 shape on the top of a door. Maybe half an inch thick so a good amount of pages can fit in there.

I'm quite good with tools but a stroll in my local DIY store han't helped me in finding an appropriate tool. Unfortunately I'm also too shy to ask the people there as they might think I'm up to something.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Mike

Sponsored Links
Oops, skimmed the registration too quickly, changed it now. I'm originally from the UK which is why I feel more comfortable on a UK board :)

I'd have to ask what type of door it is. Doors have all sorts of core materuials (including almost none). I think you're goig to find it pretty hard work cutting a blind mortise some 210mm or more into the top of a door. Neat place for secrecy, though

Who's unwanted eyes? first place I would look.[or the police] ;) Lots of easier places to hide paperwork.

Sponsored Links
Scan them and destroy the originals, encrypt the files, put them on a memory stick, back the stick up to the Cloud, and attach it to your car keys.

No prying eyes are going to read them then!

Well if you can cut an A4 size mortice in a door in the first place putting in something to stop it falling out should be a doddle and as to getting them in and out put the door on rising butts to make it relatively easy to get to but not that easy a "casual" searcher wouldn't find the hiding place.

Well if you can cut an A4 size mortice in a door in the first place putting in something to stop it falling out should be a doddle and as to getting them in and out put the door on rising butts to make it relatively easy to get to but not that easy a "casual" searcher wouldn't find the hiding place.
True enough. Personally I'd have liked the idea of putting the data on a memory stick if that hadn't already been used by the killer in one episode of Morse........

anyone getting hold of the memory stick - or even the Cloud backups - would still have to crack the encryption.

Use any decent commercial encryption software and unless you've SERIOUSLY pi**ed off the American NSA or someone else with one of the worlds largest supercomputers, that simply ain't going to happen!

Or ditch the memory stick altogether and just rely on the Cloud copies. Anyone wanting to look at your documents would first have to know that they even exist - there'd be nothing physical to find.

Very valuable documents - house deeds etc - I keep in a bank vault that I pay yearly for......its a form of comfort should the hoose born doon :p
John :)

Well if blah blah blah
True enough. Personally I'd have liked the idea of putting the data on a memory stick if that hadn't already been used by the killer in one episode of Morse........

I have to agree that there are better methods such as the memory stick which of course is even easier to hide than documents but if the OP is a bit of a luddite like myself then there is normally a paper copy too :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back