AArrrghh yet more radiator problems but please help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Usual radiator problems i'm afraid but here goes.

The house i am working at has 20 radiators over 2 floors. Some of the downstairs rads are very hot, others are stone cold and the number like this has increased over the last few months. Upstairs, i replaced a rad with a heated towel rail and despite being full of water (i've bled it) the hot water only circulates up to the valves and not into the rad itself. In the same room is a large rad which never warms up but otherwise the rads upstairs seem to work alright.

I flushed one of the rads in the kitchen which remains cold and got some sludge out, but when it was refitted there was no improvement. There is another rad in the kitchen which also remains cold and was flushed by a plumber 6 months ago. It worked for 3 days then stopped again. The rads in the hall 4m away are hot as hell!

A family member who lives in a seperate part of the house, but shares the heating system, had her 4 rads replaced a year ago and does not have any problems.

I have put 2 lots of fernox flush through and this seems to have done very little good. We have flushed the problem rads and this has not done any good.

Should i hire a power flush, leave it to an expert or not bother as this is not the problem?

Boiler feeds 20 radiators using a single pump - is this maybe a contributory problem? Does it need a second pump?

The system is a mix of 15mm copper and predominantly 10mm plastic piping - is this an issue?

The rads are 15-20 years old - are they all just slowly packing up?
Would really appreciate some help and advise.

Sponsored Links
Favourite has to be the pump. What model and how old?
Then, careful balancing.

Get the system properly powerflushed and treat yourself to a new higher specification pump as ChrisR said. You will need to get the 10mm capped off and replaced when flushing as I've not seen or heard of anyone brave enough to start powerflushing plastic pipework!

You seem to be throwing good money after bad... Just get it done properly once by a good p/flush engineer and save yourself all the trouble.

I've not seen or heard of anyone brave enough to start powerflushing plastic pipework
Oh? Well you have now!

Why should it be a problem? :confused:

It takes the mains...

Sponsored Links
Thanks both of you.

I am there tomorrow and so i will give you the pump details but i think it's a standard Grundfoss pink job.

As for the flush, i didn't think it was a problem to flush plastic pipe - does anyone else have any comment?

ChrisR said:
I've not seen or heard of anyone brave enough to start powerflushing plastic pipework
Oh? Well you have now!

Why should it be a problem? :confused:

It takes the mains...

Im with chris here....ive flushed a fair few plasic systems and never had a problem, like he says it takes mains. The pipework is usually specified to 12bar....no flushing unit i know of can generate 12bar and if it it did i think the rads would be ballooning long before the plastic pipe and fittings gave way.

I'll take your word for it guys on the plastic pipe flushing - Never tried it myself and don't know anyone that has; but then again - I've only been out on my own in the industry for 3 years now; and most is in boiler specific repairs; I suppose as long as the stuff is suitable for heating systems then yeah - But heck; I'll give it a go next time I need one :D Thanks for the heads up.

LeakyOldBoiler -> Let us know how you get on.

Thanks guys, useful discussion. The pump is a Grundfos 15-60 and i have now done 2 Fernox flushes and there has been very little improvement. The towel rad i put in is now the highest point in the system and that doesn't even get warm water apart from the initial bleed, plus there are 2 rads in the kitchen U/S and one in the living room. Suspect that little thought has been given to the overall sytem when they extended the first time or the second time and certainly not the third time!!

Taken your advise and told them to get an expert power flusher to give it a go.

They had been told by another plumber to replace all the valves, TRVs and lockshields, which is going to be plenty more than the cost of the flushing. My instinct says flush but logic says change some valves.......why can it never be straight forward and why does the customer always think you either don't know what you're doing or you're trying to screw them for every penny????!! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back