Abacus alarm problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an Abacus alarm. Not sure of exact model but from the command logic its one of these:
https://securifix.com/downloads/Abacus LCD User Manual.pdf

We don't use it (pets/spiders trigger the PIRs and insurance doesn't require) and therefore cancelled the annual maintenance contract a couple of years ago.

It recently sounded while we were on holiday and reported "TAMP front door" (a wireless reed sensor) on return. Viewing the log also showed several "PRBL Power" followed by "Power OK" entries. Yesterday I happened to be standing by it and heard what sounded like low level arcing inside the metal box and the alarm sounded with "TAMP kitchen" (a wired PIR) and another "PRBL Power".

I have the master code but not the engineers code.

Is the power supply failing? Does the whole thing need junking? How should I decommission if its a hazard (I don't like the sound of arcing though there is no smell of failing electrics and the box does seem to run hot but then its on the wall in a crowded coat cupboard).

Is the master code enough for me to cut the power and look inside.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Check battery for a start ....then it needs the mains input checking for loose connections to the transformer
THIS NEEDS CHECKING WITH THE MAINS SUPPLY OFF !
abacus panels are pretty bullet proof ....unless it’s one of the later ones made in China which it could be if it has wireless devices .....post a picture of the inside of the panel

@sparkymarka
Cutting the power causes the LCD control panel immediately to go dead (LCD blank and no response to button presses). There is no internal sounder but the external sounder does start to sound. However it is very quiet (inaudible from 20 feet away) and there are no accompanying strobes. This ceased after around 10-15 minutes. The external sounder now also appears dead.

I am attaching pictures of the interior. The battery is defunct (my voltmeter reads 8.6v across its terminals and the case is slightly bulged). There is no sign of burning/arcing inside the case that I can see and the connections of the primary and secondary of the transformer are tight. I haven't checked the connections to the wired sensors one by one but nothing looks amiss. All four fuses top left are fine.

Is there a backup battery in the external sounder? If so I assume that this is also dead and I would need to replace if I were to recommission (or is it powered from the 12v battery in the alarm box?).

From the perspective of decommissioning the unit that now seems to be done. However FWIW I have a known good 12v 9Ah lead acid battery bought for a computer UPS that has the same form factor, could this be swapped in?

Attachments

• P_20190801_102450.jpg
    P_20190801_102450.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 226
  • P_20190801_102433.jpg
    P_20190801_102433.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 214
First thing ....remove the 12v + for the external bell , this will stop the bell from repowering up and you won’t have to go through the 15 min bell ring again , now power up the alarm , silence with code and check dc output on battery leads ( around 13.80 dc ...if ok replace battery with a NEW battery and see how it goes

Sponsored Links
Done, thank you.
Using the 9Ah battery that I have the system seems OK at the moment, cutting the power the alarm control box stays up (reporting "TRBL supply".

The TAMP error on the front door was a simple contact switch whose activator had got bent out of shape. I suspect that it had been previously silenced and that we had an intermittent power outage that caused the alarm to reset as the battery back up failed.

I don't know about the PIR tamp error, there is no sign of it now.

I presume that if I cut the power, disconnect the battery. Reconnect the 12V line to the external sounder, reconnect the battery. Reattach the case and finally restore power that everything should be OK. Is there anything more that I need to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back