Battery fail in my alarm..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The battery has failed in my alarm, a motorbike style battery, will changing it mean that the code is lost from the system if it's switched off for replacement? or is there some type of c-mos backup, and how long will that last when the system if off? Normally the battery prevented the alarm sounded if there was a power cut (and we get plenty in this village strangely), but the battery has failed, and the siren goes off when power restored now.

Sponsored Links
Telling us your make and model of alarm panel might help!
Some retain their settings on power down, others don't.

Optima 2 Plus is written on the code panel. Sorry didn't realise all are not equal. Is that the make of it? or the name of the panel only?

Why power it down?

I assume you are saying turn the mains off as well as removing the battery for replacement.

Leave the mains connected, remove / replace battery, you will have to, at the very least, enter your code to stop the tamper noise when you open the alarm panel, and enter it again when closing the panel to re set it.

Sponsored Links
Ah, OK, so it's OK to remove the battery when it's live? Therefore keeping power to it, and it doesn't lose settings, can see the point there, cheers. I understand putting the code in for tamper, my question was would it default to a standard or enginer number, but if doing it live, this wouldn't happen. Cool. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back