Abnormally high and unexplained water consumption in house

The shutoff valve will rotate in all directions.
ON is when the screwdriver slot is in line with the direction of the pipe.
OFF is when the screwdriver slot is across the direction of the pipe.
From ON to OFF is a quarter turn or 90 degrees

Sponsored Links
The shutoff valve will rotate in all directions.
ON is when the screwdriver slot is in line with the direction of the pipe.
OFF is when the screwdriver slot is across the direction of the pipe.
From ON to OFF is a quarter turn or 90 degrees
Got it, thanks. But it's only for garden tap anyway (not related to the leakage problem)

Sponsored Links
There are still two worrying facts:

1. The boiler always switches on (if it was off before) immediately when I open stop-cock.

If the boiler turns on for hot water demand when mains is turned on then that indicates that its a leak from the hot water pipework AFTER the boiler!

Have you checked the condensate output pipe is not carrying the leakage flow? We would expect not if the engineers have checked the boiler but I would never trust anyone else if I was paying for metered leaking water!

Tony

Bet he has a close coupled push button toilet with internal overflow. Problem solved.

If the boiler turns on for hot water demand when mains is turned on then that indicates that its a leak from the hot water pipework AFTER the boiler!

It doesn`t, knock off the Sherry. ;)

You probably right Tony, the question is how to find WHERE.

Have you checked the condensate output pipe is not carrying the leakage flow?
I am not sure how to identify that. Is this the same as pressure release pipe?

Bet he has a close coupled push button toilet with internal overflow. Problem solved.
I wish it was easy like that but no - toilet is an old-type, lever operated, neither over-flow nor any leakage noticed (see image). Water level is steady and ~ 2 inch below the top of the flush plastic pipe.

View media item 86218

Hi Guys,

thanks for following the thread and helping me out with the leak.

Brief update of tests I've done over the weekend:

1. Put a paper around the toilet bowl - no signs of mositure over several hours. So I am positive toilet is not leaking.

2. I've pulled out WM and DW out of the cupboards and closed the water supply valves - testing water consumption with no water usage around the house for 1 hour - still 15 liters/hour unexplained leak

So the conclusion I come to so far is - the leak is most likely in underfloor water pipes connecting kitchen (where the main water inlet into the house is) with bathroom.

The best solution (arguably) is - to isolate/cut off these pipes and lead a new set of pipes from kitchen to bathroom through the loft. As a preliminary measure and sanity test - insert iso valve on those pipes and make sure this solves the leakage problem.

Just to be clear, have you turned off the inlet valve where cold water enters the boiler ?

If that stops the leak then its in the hot pipe between boiler output and then hot taps.

The condensate pipe is a plastic pipe leading from the boiler to a drain somewhere.

I have been away for a couple of days and expected it to have been identified by now.

Tony

Just to be clear, have you turned off the inlet valve where cold water enters the boiler ?

If that stops the leak then its in the hot pipe between boiler output and then hot taps.

The condensate pipe is a plastic pipe leading from the boiler to a drain somewhere.

I have been away for a couple of days and expected it to have been identified by now.

Tony

Attached is the boiler pic from the bottom.

1. Can you please tell me which pipe is for the cold water inlet? To close it - I assume I need to turn the relevant screw-valve by 90 degrees, i.e perpendicular to the pipe, right?

2. Also, the condensation pipe is the plastic pipe on the left, I assume.
But how do I check if it's not carrying a leak?

So far I tested the leakage with either stop-cock closed or boiler switched off (electrically from the socket) and in both of these cases - the leakage stopped.

Thank you

View media item 86273

Mains water in is the fourth pipe!

The condensate output is the white plastic pipe. You need to see what it goes to and see if water is dripping all the time when the boiler is not being used!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back