About time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are 60 minutes in one hour, 24 hours in one day and 60 seconds in a minute.

Sponsored Links
So far as we are concerned these infinitesimal differences makes no difference to our lives whatever.

The OP makes a wooly point followed by an interesting physics link by Big Brig.

A bit like where does your face end and neck begin or at what point does your anus end and it becones your bum.

What motivated the OP to post this and what was the question or point....? ;)

You're correct, Big Tone, makes sod-all difference.

That said, I find it pretty surprising that the Earth's rotation is so far from perfect, that the eggheads have had to put 22 leap-seconds into our days, in the last 40 yrs alone.

Seems a lot to me, for something we take as, to all intents and purposes, eternal.

Sponsored Links
Was reading recently that our seasons are so out of line with what they used to be 400 years ago that to bring them back in line we would have to re-date the calender by minus 10 days.

In other words, to have winter truly begin on 21st December, (winter solstice), we would now be needing to date our correspondence as 11/12/2013.

So all those micro seconds do add up over time.

just a flippant silly topic big tone, hesitated a few times posting it but motivated in the end to just experience posting something flippant if I'm honest!

Was reading recently that our seasons are so out of line with what they used to be 400 years ago that to bring them back in line we would have to re-date the calender by minus 10 days.

In other words, to have winter truly begin on 21st December, (winter solstice), we would now be needing to date our correspondence as 11/12/2013.

I've been maintaining this for years. When I was a young child, I seem to remember some Christmases being 'white'. These days, they are usually more like an autumn day.

Also, summer (such as it is) seems to go on well into October in some years, and March and even April often feel like midwinter.

I propose that we have Christmas this year and then turn the calendar back one month... so we can have Christmas all over again!

Oh please no! One Christmas per year is enough. :eek: As my late bro used to say, "I'll get something for you that you don't want, need or use but you have to put a face on like it's wonderful, and you buy me something I don't want, need or use but I have to put a face on like it's wonderful. Let's just NOT buy one another anything".

I didn't mean to sound mocking cajar; just wondered where it was going :oops:

Happy Xmas. I've got you a prezzy btw; it's a Teflon coated egg spoon with an LED light for eating in the dark. Good eh? Just what you wanted? ;)

Wot ya got me? :D

I've been maintaining this for years. When I was a young child, I seem to remember some Christmases being 'white'. These days, they are usually more like an autumn day.

Also, summer (such as it is) seems to go on well into October in some years, and March and even April often feel like midwinter.

I propose that we have Christmas this year and then turn the calendar back one month... so we can have Christmas all over again!

And when we have the second Christmas we can save money by giving away all the prezzies we got but didn't want! :LOL:

And when we have the second Christmas we can save money by giving away all the prezzies we got but didn't want! :LOL:

Excellent idea. We'll just have to be very careful to pass on the unwanted presents to someone other than the people who gave them.

I already have some ideas. Mrs R and I received some vouchers for theatre tickets (they weren't gift wrapped, so I opened them without knowing). I'm not interested in the theatre so, after briefly considering 'The Sound of Music' and 'Mary Poppins', I decided it might be a good idea to pass them on to the mother-in-law.

Sponsored Links
Back