BPA Code of Conduct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN."

If the limit of parking is 1 hour 30 minutes and the parking time plus "10 minutes" is 1 hour 40, is it reasonable to issue a £100 parking charge notice for staying 1 hour 42 minutes?

Sponsored Links
Did you pay and display for the 1 hour 30 or was it free parking up to 1 hour 30?

Paying and displaying vs parking for free are miles apart in contract law.

Free for 1 hour 30. What difference does it make in contract law?

OK. Have worked it out. Mrs Secure went with someone. They forgot something, so she left almost immediately. She then returned shortly and left within the free period.

But the system has only given the first arrival photo and the second departure photo.

She did not receive the first letter sent on the 30 December. But it says on the back of the Notification Letter, dated 29/1/20:

"POPLA is only available if you have, in the first instance, contested the parking charge with us within 28 days (beginning with the day after this Notice is given)"

Which is what we will do.

We will also write to the BPA explaining what happened and that UKPC are not abiding by their code of conduct.

Sponsored Links
pay and display = clear contractual agreement to terms (i.e. payment)
free parking = they have to prove you agreed to the terms.

She doesn't think so, but the signage was hardly eye-catching.

Right. She has sent letters to

UKPC: No reply.

McDonalds: Outcome of appeal to UKPC cannot be overturned by us.

BPA: If UKPC reject your appeal, contact us and we will advise further.

ICO (questioning if the DVLA providing driver's details to a private company when they have not given consent is contrary to GDPR): Will answer within 14 days.

It may harm their claim if they do not respond to dispute letters. When they level up the dunning/collection process - Reply referring back to your previous letter outlining why their claim was disputed and advise them that you are still awaiting their reply to that letter. They often ignore letters opting to stick to their own dunning process.

I took my Little girl to McDonald's... I didn't know it was 90 minutes maximum stay. Got a fine through with photo... Solicitor I was working for said " Don't acknowledge in any way. They will hound me.. Ignore and don't pay...."

I ignored and the eventually gave up.

OK.

ICO replied: Organisations don't always need your consent to use your personal data. They can use it without consent if they have a valid reason!!

Did eventually get a letter from UKPC. The "charge has been cancelled".

Another win.

Sponsored Links
Back