About to fit new bathroom ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Couple of questions and advice needed for fitting a complete new bathroom.

It all arrives tommorow , so i have to start planning my plumbing.

I have some lead pipes to remove , one is easy , the other i doubt i will be able to remove. The easy one comes down from the water tank in the loft and can be replaced without too much trouble , the other (main) comes up from the kitchen below and runs behind the kitchen wall cabinets and up through the ceiling into the bathroom floor, it is also buried in the plaster work along with a massive compression fitting , i'd rather leave this alone and use a "leadloc" type fitting above the floor in the bathroom and switch it over to conventonal pipework from there.

Is this ok to use a leadloc fitting, are they reliable ?

All the plumbing in the bathroom is a complete mess , so it all has to come out and be re-done. I've never used copper and solder and notice push fit copper fittings are available.

Which is best ? copper push fit or the plastic push fit systems ?

Finaly , switching over to a wall hung toilet form the existing. The soil pipe is the original cast iron pipe from the 30's or 40's , will modern pan couplings marry up with this ok ? or will i have problems ?

any advice much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
The copper Versus plastic debate continues! Each has it's pros and cons, Just search this site!

Most would recommend replacing all lead pipe. I believe many would refuse to leave any lead where removal is at all possible, especially if it is supplying your drinking water in the kitchen. :eek:

Some water companies offer to replace lead rising mains free of charge. If yours is lead, that may be worth investigating now.

Can you use an alternative route for new pipework around the kitchen, isolate the lead, and remove it later?

Modern pan connectors should fit cast iron soil pipes, but you may have to do quite a bit of scraping and filing to clean up the inside of the pipe well first.

TicklyT said:
The copper Versus plastic debate continues! Each has it's pros and cons, Just search this site!

thanks for the info , tried a search for advice on plastic V copper , but didn't find any real info on what the pros and cons are , lots of threads but no facts ? in one thread someones talking about canneloni and pasta , in another the fall of the roman empire !! :)

Sponsored Links
I think i'll try the canneloni and pasta fittings then.....shame i can't use the bolognaise , maybe i'll find a use for it..... :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back