Loose push fit fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a plumbing question but connected....

I am making a table out of 22mm copper piping and using copper push fit fittings. I have never used them before as I usually use galvinised steel with connectors tightened by an allen key which gives a solid grip

Using the push fit fittings they all still twist and seem loose when connected. They do not seem to have a tight grip I have tried tapping them with a rubber mallet to see if they need pushing in further but it makes no difference. Apart from being screwed to the floor with flanges and a couple of cross peices the whole thing would just sway around with no stability

Is this normal with push fit ? It connects the pipes but does not actually grip it tight enough to stop it moving ?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid it is normal with push fit.(n) You might have a better result with end feed fittings glued with epoxy resin instead of soldered

What about compression fittings ? I have used them to fix the pipe to the flange. The olive seems to hold them tight. Would it do the same for pipe to pipe ?

Sponsored Links
No Why ? I am not a plumber.
I am making a table and am using push fit as I said and they are loose so would compression fittings ( that is what it say on the packet) which are tightened with an olive on the tube give me a firmed grip on the pipe.

Its a straight forward question. I just dont know the answer.

Don't worry Union, we don't normally get such basic questions. Okay, you're not a plumber, and you want to make a table; push fits won't work, but compression fittings would, but will work out quite expensive. Have a look on youtube to see how you solder end feed fittings, and then see if it is within your scope.

Yes I know That is what I am trying to do. Using the copper pipes to make a table with two shelves so am using both straight fittings, elbows and "T"s.

The compression fittings I have seen are brass while the push fit are copper. I am thinking the brass compression would give me firmers fit than the copper push fit which are loose.

@unionworkeruk You can also google gorilla glue which does the same thing and is cheaper.

I haven't tried these products and the sites are only a guide but that should get you where you need to be.

Jon

Thanks Jon. That the sort of information I need. Something for someone who is not a plumber and cheap !

I used Yorkshire fittings to make a clothes hanger rack for the Mrs, you can push fit to assemble then just go round the joints with a blow lamp to fix all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back