About to tackle installing my own kitchen. Advice needed

What's the socket for??

The socket is above the hood not the hob. maybe I didn't make that very clear.

The socket is to power the hood but because of where the socket is, when the hood butts up to it the distance from hob to hood will only be 735mm.

I don't think the wiring will be long enough to move the socket further up the wall and wouldn't it be a pain in the ass to add an extra 20mm of wire to the existing stuff to make it movable?

Sponsored Links
Undo the front off the socket and see where the wiring goes. Usually for downstairs sockets the wiring comes down from the ceiling. If your wiring does indeed come down from the ceiling, it should be fairly straightforward to move it higher up. Ideally for a cooker hood, you should have a FCU instead of a socket (usually with a 5A fuse in instead of 13A)

Its a new section of wiring that the electrician added so its coming up the wall from a socket directly below it :(

Sponsored Links
I'd get the sparky back and tell him he's not put it high enough. He could probably crimp some extra cable on to the existing and extend it upwards. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back