Above door heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're currently in the process of remove our old kitchen and have a electric heater above the door. I have not seen one of these before! Are the two pipes from my central heating or water supply? As there's stop valves on the pipes I'm making the assume it's from the water supply. Unfortunately there's vinyl lino down in the bathroom above and I can't lift the floor. You'l see from the photo I've tried making a hole to trace the pipes but I don't want to go too far if I can avoid it.

See photo of heater here. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=aU5hQUZFQTRWVklpbDA1b2N0Zl81dkRqbzFYOXRB

I'm competent in removing pipes but before I cap the pipes I want to be 100% sure when I cut the pipes I'm not going to drain my central heating system.

Sponsored Links
they are in your CH circuit, you can drain it , snatch it (no recommended if you are not experienced) or bung it if it is an F&E system (open vent) or you could freeze it with a kit

Thank you. I've got to add a radiator into the room so I'll drain the system. As a DIY'er I've not heard of the other methods.

I assume once I've drained it I can cap it with a compression or push fit stop end? I haven't braved soldering yet :unsure: I've drained my CH a few times to change TRVs etc and am confident in draining. Removing CH pipes is something I haven't done yet.

what system boiler make and model etc do you have , could be a lot less bother than you think and might not need draining

Sponsored Links
well you have a sealed system then so draining and refilling is a doddle, find a low point in the system to drain it from, you wont get airlock problems and such when topping the pressure up

Excellent! Many thanks. Really glad I found out the heater was part of my CH circuit before cutting the pipes.

Is that not an isolation valve on the connection to that heater? Most of the remote heaters fan assisted heaters I have found had ISO valves on them. That being said, whether they'll work or not is another story.

Yeah it has ISO valves to the heater which made me think it was from the water supply. Didn't think you were supposed to put ISO valves on central heating. Anyway, they're below the ceiling and I want to cap it off above the ceiling.

Yes, but, if the isolation valves work then you can use them to remove the heater and then use them to drain the system (y)

Last edited:
It's ok. The boiler is behind that door and there's a drain off valve there.

If the ISO valves don't work I'll quickly end up with a pool of water.

Is up to you. ISO's are used on plinth/wall heaters like that for removal, just like the vales on the rads and it will make it easier to drain that section down.

Easy to test the iso's isolate and loosen the nut, if it keeps running then they're not holding. You want to avoid drain the whole system if you can at all avoid it. Then ensure it is flushed and properly inhibited ever time etc. Isolate the rad when draining to avoid them rusting up and save as much inhibited system water as possible.

It's ok. The boiler is behind that door and there's a drain off valve there.

If the ISO valves don't work I'll quickly end up with a pool of water.

By draining at the point of works, you know that nothings going to come at you by surprise :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back