ABS repair - how to take a mould of shape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again
Took my caravan out of storage to find damp/rot in front end.

Cause is two 6 inch splits in the abs front panel. I have removed all of the front wallboard and timber to access the spilts to rep[air with ABS patch welded using acetone.

My problem is that the panel has a profile like lightning bolt sort of shape and I want to shape the patches before fitting them.

Can anyone suggest a method of taking a mould of the shape and what material to use eg plaster, plasticine etc.

Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
Thanks
I've sent an enquiry.

Any other suggestions please in the meantime?

Jim

maybe smear with vaseline and then pump a load of silcone on the profile work it in,when its dry/go off just peel it away,hey presto theres your mould.

Sponsored Links
Am I reading this wrong, or can you not use fibreglass? as the raw material? Put down the fibre, then add the glue, in layers??

Thanks gregers, good suggestion but not sure if the silicon will be rigid enough for a mould - I'll give it a try.

Micky. fibreglass and ABS are totally different and dont "mix" - however it may be possible to use some other kid of mesh/material to follow your suggestion. Food for thought, Thank you.

Jim

Great tutorial and a real possibility. Thanks Alastair.

Jim

Received reply from tomps (see post 2)

Same suggestion as gregers.

you could use silicone for an impression :) it will require thixo to
stop it running.

it will also need some kind of support on the back to retain shape.

Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back