Absolutely Desparate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I truely hope someone can help. Im usually good at finding information but I cannot seem to find a solution to this problem :(

Basically I have a UPVC window frame which opens on the left and the right (all the way from top to bottom) with a solid pane in the middle. Both "openers" open to the outside.

Basically when both of them close a full seal is made at the top and bottom near the hinges, along the top and the bottom and on the side with the handle, however on the "hinge side" the is a gap in the centre

This causes a serious draight and the noise is keeping my son up at night

I have been told
1) That the frame was put in slightly skew and that it needs to be re-adjusted -- Not really an option as the external rendering is all the way up to the window

2) Ive been told that the is a "bracket" that can be fitted in the centre that will draw the opener to the frame to create a perfect seal. The guy who told me this will do it for £220 per window (which is just plain crazy)

So my questions are
1) Does anyone know what bracket the guy was refering to in point 2 and where I might buy one (to try myself)
2) Anyone live near Epping who might be up for the job - I need a professional and Im not made of money (unfortunately)

Any help or advise TRUELY appreciated

Thanks !!!

Sponsored Links
big-all

Thanks for the reply - I think this is an excellent short term solution .. I think it will address the draught but perhaps not the noise..I will look at this this weekend

I would love to know if this guy was bs'ing re the centre bracket or not - It sounds like the perfect long term solution - Would love to hear from anyone that knows anything about it

I finally managed to get the name of them and a supplier

FYI (in case anyone has the same issue as me) they are called dog bolts and the gentleman at hdhardware is helping me procure them

thanks !

Sponsored Links
if the frame is pulled tight the centre fixings you mention may not cure this you could try if they (fitter bothered to put any fixings in the centre ie bolts ) loosen off then gently on the plaster line to the frame insert a paint scraper and see if the frame will twist to where you want it if so use a small glazing packer to keep the frame from returning to its original position then seal with decoraters chalk job done ps i run a maintenace company and this is a comman fault

you need to be carefull not to go like a bull in a china shop and damage plaster alternativly next time you decorate you could do this by removing a section of plaster and packing out the bow or twist whichever is causing your problem

hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back