AC DC Adaptor fail

Decided to bump up the charge current by a tad after this reading.

Battery state
12.44v stand alone
12.55v connected to charger
12.85 m-Ohm internal resistance
28% wear life (based on 340EN 374CCA)
201 CCA
Spec: Lion 063 40Ah EN 340CCA, very old

Charger state (no adjustment made from previous)
19mA effective charge current
1.2w - 1.5w mains draw
31v open circuit
28mA open circuit

Sponsored Links
You know, you could feed all of this data, into a simple spreadsheet, and it would be more useful and revealing, than posting it here?

I find it more useful to post it here. You don't have to read it, you know? Other people can if they want to. Again, it isn't obligatory. It's just my research project on the internet. Naturally, it goes on the internet. People of a 1000 years from now could be reading this. If they share my interest in lead acids, this will be useful to them. To-date, this thread has dispelled some common myths already.

Last edited:
People of a 1000 years from now could be reading this. If they share my interest in lead acids, this will be useful to them. To-date, this thread has dispelled some common myths already.

Unlikely the site will be around in 100 years, never mind 1000, but even so - the data would still be presented better in a spreadsheet, and then graphs, than a 1000 separate, meaningless posts.

Sponsored Links
You obviously don't understand the internet. Whatever you post is owned by google, and they will hold it forever. Whoever takes them over will own the data in turn.

I do the project my way. If you feel there is a better way, then rehash the data in the form you find making more sense. For my purpose a simple log is adequate. Feel free to make your own project of gathering my data and put them in a spreadsheet. I have other things on the go, and my data is only available on an ad hoc basis. Right now, I am obsessed with attaining a perfect seal for wonky timber doors - success is now in sight. Do your own battery charging project for a more complete picture. Feel free to post them here. I am not possessive of threads. My data is intended for the public (more accurately for google, their bots, and people of 1000 years from now) and the public getting involved isn't a problem. ChatGPT could well be spewing my stuff at some point. This will be better than the mythical junk people get now.

Last edited:
You obviously don't understand the internet. Whatever you post is owned by google, and they will hold it forever. Whoever takes them over will own the data in turn.

Google only records and stores search references, once a site is gone, the data is no more.

Never heard of way back machine and other of the same kind? These are just the public face of it. Google and cia both have you on file. You will never disappear.

Never heard of way back machine and other of the same kind? These are just the public face of it. Google and cia both have you on file. You will never disappear.

I am aware of it, yes, but no it doesn't store a complete picture - it is very selective about what it stores.

There are things you can see and there are things you can't see. If you do a research project on google, maybe you will see a lot more. They control everything.

They control everything.

Best wear my cooking foil hat then!

Think about how much information is posted on websites, how frequently they change the content, the sheer number of websites, the sheer volume of data, and you will realise the system has to be very selective about what is stored, and what is not.

In the past, I've been involved with several websites, now there is absolutely no trace of them at all, anywhere.

Last edited:
If you like. Or just drink what you are fed. There's a lot of that with lead acid battery theories.

If you like. Or just drink what you are fed. There's a lot of that with lead acid battery theories.

I've been down the road numerous times, of attempting to salvage LA batteries, some you win to a limited extent, some you lose. Simple sulphation, if that is the issue, they can be mostly recovered. Others, due to wear and tear on the battery, the lead has dropped off the plates to the bottom, cannot be recovered to a worthwhile extent, because both the plate area will be less, and the lead in the bottom will short out the plates - so they rapidly discharge.

It is really as simple as that.

My experience is same. But lead doesn't drop off all batteries. The lead in my discarded 19 year old battery was perfect. But I killed it with bat-aid tablets. These permanently modified the plates. This wasn't known until the middle of this thread.

The charge current bump yesterday resulted in a bump in the rate of CCA gain. I was going for a 25mA effective but it settled lower. So, I gave it another nudge today aiming for 25mA effective.

Battery state
12.47v stand alone
12.58v connected to charger
12.43 m-Ohm internal resistance
31% wear life (based on 340EN 374CCA)
208 CCA

Charger state (current adjusted up from previous)
22mA effective charge current
1.5w mains draw
31.5v open circuit
32mA open circuit

The common approach of using the voltage as a measure for the charge state is quite obviously wrong. At 12.6v, my battery is no where near fully charged. The battery was known to be capable of 275cca. I am hoping for a bit more.

Battery state
12.61v stand alone
12.72v connected to charger
11.36 m-Ohm internal resistance
37% wear life (based on 340EN 374CCA)
228 CCA

Charger state (current adjusted up from previous)
26mA effective charge current
1.5w mains draw
32.48v open circuit
34mA open circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back