Accellerating weathering/black lichen growth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Despite adding some cement dye to my the mortar I used to bed the ridge tiles and bonnets on my new extension, it still stands out dreadfully against the existing roof pointing.

The existing roof has a very fine layer of black growth over it, even on the tile actually. Can I encourage this on the new pointing? Dilute yoghurt spray? Maybe I need more to worry about in life!

Cheers

Gary

Sponsored Links
I built a new pond with rockery and wanted a 'aged' look. I was told to buy a live yoghurt and paint all the rocks with it, 8 weeks later and it didn't look any different. It didn't work.

Just leave it to mother nature.

Andy

What cement dye did you use?
We prefer the liquid dye as you can adjust the colour easier to match.( with practice of course)
Can't you redo the existing mortar to match or is this too much extra work?

Sponsored Links
Looks good did you find any problems with the different pitches in the valley tiling.

I happened to be using reclaimed valley tiles, and there were a mixture of four different types. They looked the same but were actually very slightly different angles, which meant I could select the best one for the job every time.

That said, nearly all the adjacent tiles either side of the valleys needed a small sliver cut off to get them to butt up exactly. The valleys are sitting nicely though, apart from the odd one that you can see is kicking up ever so slightly, but I'm not too worried.

I just want to try to get them to weather in a bit better now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back