Accenta Alarm Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hope this is posted in the right place and that someone can help with a problem that I am having with my Accenta alarm system. Basically, we have just moved into a new house with one of these systems already installed (The system has Accenta written on it, however, there is none of the screens on it or anything, just the basic buttons, zones etc).

Anyway, the two sensors that we have are on the front door and the back door. The front door has what I can assume is two magnetic conductors (hope thats correct) and is set to Zone 1 and this zone works perfectly well - I set the alarm and if you walk in, don't put in the code, alarm sounds.

The problem is with the back door. This has another two of the magnetic points with a wire coming from one of them and enters into a little box on the wall next to the door that requires a battery. No matter what I try, I cannot get this specific zone to set off when the alarm is set and i open the back door. The strange part is that there is a button on this little box that if pressed, when the alarm is set, will trigger the full house alarm and show up on the main keypad as zone 4.

So in my absolute beginner eyes, this zone on the back door appears to be connected to the main system and keypad, but will not trigger when the actual back door opens, only when the button on the little box is pressed.

I hope that I have explained this well and would appreciate any help at all,

thanx in advance, charlie

Sponsored Links
Not sure but is that battery box and push button a panic attack on a zone seperate from the magnetic door contact, which may be faulty.

Sponsored Links
Like like some cheap radio add on is there a receiver at the side of the main box ? Not keypad. If the test button works it may be a faulty contact ( they stick closed sometimes)

Well, im sure that we had it working when we first moved in and it showed that it was zone 4 that was lit up. When we press the panic button, its zone 4 that lights up. While i am no expert at all, does it seem like it is the door contacts that are faulty??

Appreciate all the replys,

thanx, charlie

The "battery box" looks like a 3 channel transmitter (that was once in someone's shed!!). Judging by the state of the screws on the door contact, it's pretty old and they do get sticky. The bit on the door is just a magnet and the bit on the frame with the cable coming out is the contact - a magnetic switch called a reed contact. Try setting the alarm, opening the door and tapping the contact with a screwdriver handle or a spoon. If the alarm goes off, you'll know that the contact is sticking and should be replaced. It's a simple and cheap job.

Well, funny you should say that it looks like its been in the shed. When I opened the battery box, written in biro is the word 'Shed'! Anyway, to say the screws look old is putting it mildly, the are practically falling out. I tried tapping the contact, but no alarm went off - I think I tapped to hard as the top of the battery box came off and the alarm set off (Zone 4 again).

Would it be worth investing in a new battery box and contact for the door??

thanx, john

p.s -just realised if you zoom in to the picture, you can see 'Shed'...

Is it a wireless rather than wired set up?
If so could be just the door contact as the batterry box is apparentlt transmitting on the test button. For the cost, why not change the contact part or open the existing one and check the wiring or "short" it to test?

Just the contact.

If you change the transmitter, you'll have to change the receiver too - if you can find it! There lies a can of worms...

Just a couple of thoughts:

Have you located the main alarm panel (where all the wiring comes together). It is probably a Honeywell/ADE Accenta/Optima and there should be the receiver for the Micromark transmitter shown in your picture. The wiring between the receiver and alarm base unit will give a clue as to the number of channels used. I suspect there will be one pair of connections for the door contact and one pair for the PA switch.

You could try disconnecting the contact wires from the terminals in the transmitter and connecting two wires which will allow you to test the transmitter inputs. By touching the two wires together, you can simulate the door contact.

If the door is fully shut in that picture then the problem may be the magnet on the door is too far away from the reed switch to operate it.

Remove the magnet and hold it close the the reed switch and set the alarm. Then move the magnet away from the reed switch. If that triggers the alarm then you will need to find a way to fit the magnet so it is closer to the reed switch when the door is closed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back