Acceptable to vent into floor space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Wise Collective,

First time poster but need some advice from people who know what they're talking about.

We had a kitchen fitted a couple of years ago with a down-draft extractor which was supposed to vent at the back of our house through an air brick. Recently our neighbours complained about cooking smells from our kitchen (semi-detached) so I went into the floor space and found that the extractor hose just stops and vents into the floor space.

Just been on the phone to the kitchen company who sound like they are going to try to argue that it's too difficult to vent it properly and propose to fit some carbon filters. I feel that continuing to vent into the floor space is not a good idea re moisture etc.

Anyone have an opinion on whether it is a) acceptable practice, and b) if there are any regulations that relate to this? I'm going to be living with the solution for years so I need to know it's been sorted satisfactorily.

Photo below

Thanks all for your thoughts,
Ed

Attachments

• PXL_20220130_151324003.jpg
    PXL_20220130_151324003.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 144
Sponsored Links
Look like a proper bodge job. That needs venting to the outside.

they took your money in the expectation that you wouldn't find out.

have you kept a copy of the specification?

Sponsored Links
Just been on the phone to the kitchen company who sound like they are going to try to argue that it's too difficult to vent it properly and propose to fit some carbon filters. I feel that continuing to vent into the floor space is not a good idea re moisture etc.

It will help to cause rot in the timber floor, it is not acceptable. 'Too difficult' is not an answer.

that wall could do with attention as the wall plate is probably taking more load than it should as i suspect those bricks not be supporting much above the hole

Is it me or is that flexible drain from an appliance just shoved up a waste pipe and siliconed

Is it me or is that flexible drain from an appliance just shoved up a waste pipe and siliconed

No, not just you. They bodged that too, but they're coming to do that and it should be an easier fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back