Venting a Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We too have terrible condensation issues. I've read most of the posts here but cannot find a remedy to what we are trying to achieve.

I am wanting to fit an extractor fan to our kitchen to remove moist air from cooking. The only external wall is covered by a lean to conservatory (my workshop area). The walls are made of somethinbg with the strength of sheet steel. I want to fit a window extractor due to ease and cost but this will only extract into the enclosed conservatory space. I cannot vent up and out due to stench pipe running diagonally above wall area where extract can go.

It really is a headache now. What would the impliactions be of extracting into conservatory area and also fitting supplementary Vent-a-Matic window vents into Conservatory windows.

Is this all a bad idea?

Thanks
MadD

Sponsored Links
Yes, is the ceiling height of the kitchen below that of the lean-to?

What would the impliactions be of extracting into conservatory area
The entire conservatory will literally be dripping with condensation and kitchen grease.
Anything in there will be ruined.

and also fitting supplementary Vent-a-Matic window vents into Conservatory windows.
There will be slightly less condensation.
Everything in the conservatory will still be ruined.

Yes, is the ceiling height of the kitchen below that of the lean-to?

Yes, the ceiling height of the kitchen is below that of the lean-to. Nothing is ever easy is it!

No viable/easy/attractive way of getting a vent to the outside through the kitchen wall and through the lean-to roof, or via the lean-to front wall as there is a stench pipe, rainwater pipe and a door in the way. :(

Sponsored Links
What would the impliactions be of extracting into conservatory area
The entire conservatory will literally be dripping with condensation and kitchen grease.
Anything in there will be ruined.

and also fitting supplementary Vent-a-Matic window vents into Conservatory windows.
There will be slightly less condensation.
Everything in the conservatory will still be ruined.

Yes, thought as much. However we do vent into it by opening a window. However I think more cold air comes in than warm moist air goes out, hence the need for mechanical venting.

Sorry, I never did update this.

Did nothing in the end. I think global warming has reduced the condensation problems in our kitchen!

Thanks for the update over ten years later!!! o_O

I was also contemplating on how to fit the ventilation fan in the kitchen. I bought a couple of fans from Amazon (1x for the kitchen and 1x for the garden shed). But I cannot honestly make substantial hole in the kitchen wall (far too thick of about 30 - 40cm thickness). So I am planning to make a hole on the wooden kitchen door to the garden, and install on it with the screws. The wooden door thickness is about 5cm (2inches), but it is made of wood, which is possible to drill a hole of about 10cm diameter. The wooden shed installtion of the vent fan would be a lot easier, as the thickness of the wooden pacel is about 1.5 - 2cm.

I was also contemplating on how to fit the ventilation fan in the kitchen. I bought a couple of fans from Amazon (1x for the kitchen and 1x for the garden shed). But I cannot honestly make substantial hole in the kitchen wall (far too thick of about 30 - 40cm thickness). So I am planning to make a hole on the wooden kitchen door to the garden, and install on it with the screws. The wooden door thickness is about 5cm (2inches), but it is made of wood, which is possible to drill a hole of about 10cm diameter. The wooden shed installtion of the vent fan would be a lot easier, as the thickness of the wooden pacel is about 1.5 - 2cm.
Very common to drill extract holes thru walls , what makes you think a standard wall is too thick.

Very common to drill extract holes thru walls , what makes you think a standard wall is too thick.

Maybe possible if I tried with the big drill, but it just seems unpreditable in some ways such as hitting the water pipes or live wires or ...will take too long etc. I once drilled through the kitchen wall for making the outside tap water, and the wall was real fat about 40cm thickness.

Drilling into the wooden door would be far easier option.

Last edited:
When we redo our kitchen the hob will be relocated to an inner wall - the extraction will need to be taken up into the ceiling void, across the ceiling, through the floor above, up through what will in future be the airing cupboard, through the floor above that to the PIV in the eaves and will vent through a c.400mm thick stone wall. It will all be smooth wall rectangular ductwork except in the attic and will require a 120 or 125mm hole through the masonry (a 20 to 30 minure job - it will actually take longer to build the scaffolding tower I'll be wotking off), for which I will use a dry diamond core drill which I'll hire for the weekend. The idea is to make it all as unobtrusive as possible.

BTW @spader, how will you connect the ductwork to the door, and where will you site the extraction fan motor (and any wiring) and how do you intend to drill a largecdiameter hole in a wooden door?

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW @spader, how will you connect the ductwork to the door, and where will you site the extraction fan motor?

The fan is in a self contained unit, very light and small - originally for bathroom from Amazon like this one. It is not the exact one, but cannot find the one I bought in Amazon now - but very similar. No need for ductwork. Just wanting to reduce the dampness in the kitchen space using the fan.

The wooden kitchen door to the garden is next to the mains socket on the wall, so the power plug will be connecting to the socket which is about 10cm away. Must either reduce the power cable length or find a way to hide in some cable tidy accessories (again from Amazon).

The fan is in a self contained unit, very light and small - originally for bathroom from Amazon like this one. It is not the exact one, but cannot find the one I bought in Amazon now - but very similar. No need for ductwork. Just wanting to reduce the dampness in the kitchen space using the fan.

The wooden kitchen door to the garden is next to the mains socket on the wall, so the power plug will be connecting to the socket which is about 10cm away. Must either reduce the power cable length or find a way to hide in some cable tidy accessories (again from Amazon).
Bathroom fan will have negligible effect in a kitchen .

"Bathroom fan will have negligible effect in a kitchen ."

The fans are sold for Kitchen and Bathroom Extractor, so it must be effective in the small kitchens for ventilation.

Amazon product title -​

"Quality Wall Kitchen Bathroom Extractor Fan 120mm with Timer pRim Ventilation Fan"​

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back