Window Vents For Pantry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI All,

Not been on this forum for many years!

Quick question - we have a pantry/larder in our kitchen that houses a washing machine and a seldom used tumble drier (condensing). The old window to the larder that opens into our lean to conservatory is just single glazed and permanently open. letting out warm air and making the kitchen cold. We are getting double glazing put into the kitchen and this window will become an obscure panel. I was going to vent it with an extractor fan with humidistat but it seems like it might take an age for it to kick in. Basically I just want background ventilation to keep the damp away.

I'm thinking of putting in a vent-a-matic instead and adding some vents to the larder door to keep the air moving.

Any suggestions? See pics of old window and larder door etc.

Many thanks

Nic

Attachments

• 20221015_173010.jpg
    20221015_173010.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20221015_180610.jpg
    20221015_180610.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
You could ask for the obscured glass window to be fitted with a trickle vent?
only issue I foresee is actually operating it with your set up.
or core drill the outside wall and fit a sliding vent operated from the conservatory

Yes, I'm going to get the installer to provide a 160mm hole in the panel and fit a vent-a-matic I think. It's £40 vs £120 plus fittings etc for a fan. I can add some pulleys to operate the cords. I was thinking of getting a core drill in the wall but space is really tight around the window and the only option would be to go through the lintel which really isn't an option at all!

Sponsored Links
You could core drill below the window

It wouldn't work as there is the shelf for the tumble dryer then below that is a hot and cold water pipe run then below that there is my work bench against the wall outside. Nothing is ever straightforward :(

Loose the window and panel it, fit simple hit/ miss vent .

Yup, going to go for simple louvre on the outside and a hit and miss on the inside with a long narrow stainless steel louvre for the bottom of the pantry door. Simple solution and costs less. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back