access required to flue joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey am a 3rd year apprentice studying for my NVQ level 3 and have a question I wondered if any one could help me with. I know if a flue is to be boxes in it needs access panels so the joints in the flue can be expected, however what happens if your siting a boiler with its side close up to the external wall and a flue extension is needed. As it is likely the joint between the extension flue and the flue will fall in the wall cavity. Is this acceptable as the joint will be inaccessible.

Sponsored Links
Depends what MI's say is acceptable.

Most telescopic flues it is acceptable, if you needed to use an extension then cut back so the joint isnt in the wall.

I was wondering if you need to use an extension pack ( non telescopic) because the flue is exiting the boiler from the side not the rear. And the standard flue is too short.

Sponsored Links
if you mean you need two flue lengths to get through the wall from the boiler, then you cut one back to be visible on the inside. If you mean they had alterations done, so the wall is wider than meter long, Then you have to consult manufactures, as their are boilers what can get round this. Think Kensington do boiler what can do this, as they have different type of flue pipe.

if you mean you need two flue lengths to get through the wall from the boiler, then you cut one back to be visible on the inside. If you mean they had alterations done, so the wall is wider than meter long, Then you have to consult manufactures, as their are boilers what can get round this. Think Kensington do boiler what can do this, as they have different type of flue pipe.

Yes I meant if you need two flue lengths to get through the wall, is it required to cut one length back (the extension piece). So you have a the joint visible on the inside? Not in the wall cavity.

**** me how thick would the wall have to be :LOL:

A few manufacturers do longer extension pieces than 1m too.

Thickest I had to get through was 1200mm from memory.

Not exactly a wall though ;).

Had to go through a flat roof the other day. That ***** was the better part of 800mm thick :eek:

Is more for a situation were you site a boiler on the wall next to the external wall and the flue exits sideways from the boiler.

Thickest I had to get through was 1200mm from memory.

Not exactly a wall though ;).

Had to go through a flat roof the other day. That bastard was the better part of 800mm thick :eek:

How did you get over going through a 1200mm wall? without having a joint in the wall cavity?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back