Accessible doorway widths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Experts,

The building regs drawings for a new partition wall that I'm constructing show a requirement for an 800mm clear opening. I think this was added by the person who drew the plans after feedback from the council, without asking me. Or maybe it was there all the time but I didn't notice; in any case, I now have approval for plans that show a 800mm clear opening width.

As I understand it the width required for a wheelchair-accessible doorway depends on the dimensions of the hall that it leads from; if the corridor is more than 1050mm wide, the doorway need only be 775mm. In my case the doorway opens from a largish square hall, easily wider than this in every direction.

A standard 838mm wide, 44mm thick door just about provides a 775mm clear opening once the thickness of the door and the door stop strip have been allowed for. All my existing doors are significantly narrower; doors wider than 838mm are hard to find.

Note that I'm in Scotland.

My questions:

1. Does the requirement for accessible internal doorways even apply to me? This is a listed building and the external access involves significant steps; none of the doors (internal or external) are accessible.

2. Am I correct that I only need a 775mm clear opening to comply?

3. Now that I have approved plans showing an 800mm opening, what should I do?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Accessibility requirements do not apply to domestic extensions and refurbs, and I thought that applied to Scotland too.

One consideration is that there was previously a double door here, so I may be subject to the "no worse than previously" rules.

The relevant rule seems to be:

IMG_0072.jpg

http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0050/00501003.pdf

If there was no need to comply in the first place, then changing things will not be relevant to any "can't be any worse" rule

Sponsored Links
The approved plans are just to show what you plan to do complies. If you change your mind, it's fine as long as your new plan also complies. I suppose if you follow the plans and technically it doesn't comply, they can't change their mind. But if you don't follow the plans they can decide it doesn't comply after all.

I've heard that Listed Building Status takes precedence over BRs, but I have no personal experience. You should find your local Conservation Officer who will know more. She may have other comments on your alterations.

Information like "this is for a ground floor flat for a listed building in Scotland" is pretty useful to know right at the beginning. I wonder what other relevant information you've left out!

Information like "this is for a ground floor flat for a listed building in Scotland" is pretty useful to know right at the beginning. I wonder what other relevant information you've left out!

My first post did say "listed building" and "Scotland"; sorry for forgotting "flat" until later. I don't think there is anything else...
Adding too much information has the danger of becoming "TL;DR".

I've heard that Listed Building Status takes precedence over BRs, but I have no personal experience. You should find your local Conservation Officer who will know more. She may have other comments on your alterations.

Nothing that I'm doing affects any of the historic fabric, so building regs do apply and the feedback from Listed Buildings was "no comment".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back