Advice please on bathroom doorway widths inc the door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Please someone advise me. I have found the regulations for required doorway widths for bathrooms, but if you have a door that doesn't open fully because of the handle on the back and therefore reduces the accessible width does this contravene the regulations? I have attached a very crude hand drawn picture as an example.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 281
Sponsored Links
It's actually a first floor hotel room that has built a bathroom in the room between 2 cupboards.

Can you use a smaller handle.

A 70cm door should have a hypotenuse (opening) of 99cm. So the handle must be quite substantial?

Via Pythagoras:
99^2 = 70^2 + 70^2

Sponsored Links
Yes the handle was quite large. This is the only place I could find to ask the question as this was in a hotel that we stayed in over the weekend and I am complaining about the access to the bathroom.

did you manage to get in and I assume you managed to get out again. If so just give it up stay somewhere else next time.

I don't think you'll get far complaining about building regulations. Just write a bad review online and don't go back.
If this Is an academic discussion, then true you wouldn't get away with it in a new dwelling, but who knows with a hotel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back