accessing cables between 2 kitchen lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a short on my downstairs lighting ring and i have had an electrician to look at this. He "thinks" that there is a short between the kitchen lights - i have a light at either end of the kitchen. Prior to the issue occurring (the lighting ring keeps on shorting) i had knocked off the downstairs lighting ring in order to put some new screws on one of the light roses as it was loose. I basically used a fairly short screw (25mm) and put it through one of the holes in the rose into the plasterboard ceiling. Could that have caused the issue.

he now says that he has to replace the cable between these 2 lights and wants to lift the flooring upstairs to do so. He is coming back next week. Above the kitchen is a bathroom and bedroom. He thinks he can avoid removing the bathroom floor as they are titled. However in the bedroom there are large boards and i am concerned about him having to remove those. (especially if they are under a stud wall).

just wondering if it can be done from below - ie taking out a section of plasterboard above each light.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have a short on my downstairs lighting ring and i have had an electrician to look at this. He "thinks" that there is a short between the kitchen lights
Well, best to make sure first.
Lights are not usually (never) on a ring circuit.
In any case there will likely be one cable between the two lights. It can hardly be otherwise if they both come on using the same switch.So disconnect that cable and test it.

- i have a light at either end of the kitchen. Prior to the issue occurring (the lighting ring keeps on shorting) i had knocked off the downstairs lighting ring in order to put some new screws on one of the light roses as it was loose. I basically used a fairly short screw (25mm) and put it through one of the holes in the rose into the plasterboard ceiling. Could that have caused the issue.
Of course it could.
Take it out and see if the problem goes away. Even if it does, the cable will still be damaged and need replacing.

he now says that he has to replace the cable between these 2 lights and wants to lift the flooring upstairs to do so. He is coming back next week. Above the kitchen is a bathroom and bedroom. He thinks he can avoid removing the bathroom floor as they are titled. However in the bedroom there are large boards and i am concerned about him having to remove those. (especially if they are under a stud wall).
That's life.

just wondering if it can be done from below - ie taking out a section of plasterboard above each light.
You won't have to do it above each light but you may have to access every joist to get the cable through.

If he has not disconnected the cable, he won't know if a new one can be just pulled through - probably not but you may be lucky.

Yes it can.
If the joists are in the same direction as a line between the two lights it should be a simple matter to pull in a new cable with minimal or no damage to the ceiling.

If they are the other way, then it's either remove large parts of the ceiling to drill through each joist, or a less damaging option is to take the cable at 90 degrees to the nearest wall, then along the edge of the wall/ceiling until it is in line with the other light, then behind the ceiling to the light.
If you have coving, the cable can be concealed behind it, with almost no damage. Otherwise it can be chased into the wall, or use mini trunking if it's not in a visible area (such above kitchen units).

In any case, ceilings are much easier, quicker and cheaper to make holes in and repair compared to chipboard floors, shifting furniture, carpets, bathroom tiles and the rest.

With the power off do a continuity test between the disconnected cores and the SCREW before you take the screw out, invariably it will give a reading if it has cut the cable, if it has damaged it that close, theres likely enough slack to pull the damaged bit through

Sponsored Links
My joists are running at 90 degrees. I do have coving so it seems much easier to run the cable to the sides and behind the coving if that's an option. The electrician was supplied by my supplier as I have cover through them. He is coming back next week and wants me to prepare upstairs by removing furniture so he can lift carpet and cut boards to access lights below

I really want to avoid that

Last edited:
20180914_000226.jpg

cables don't spontaneously go wrong. I expect some buffoon has put a nail through it. When taking up the floor above he may well find the board with the offending nail. Or in your case, your offending screw.

Depending on the age of the house, you can often track the route of previous plumbers and electricians when you look at the floorboards. Some plumbers use a hatchet, some a chainsaw.

As you probably caused the damage with your screw, it would be worth taking the rose off and peering up the hole. You could cut the plasterboard and use a bigger light fitting to hide the patch afterwards. Did you tell him about your screw?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back