Accessing this

Actually HSS do a PASMA tower course, about £100.

https://www.hsstraining.com/course-detail/course/pasma-mobile-access-towers-for-users

There is nothing at all wrong with using a tower, but they are so often assembled wrongly and not set up in place correctly.

I bet the people taking the course do all working at height training, so you may get info about working on ladders too.

You will learn safer, but also probably better and quicker ways to do jobs.

Im sure you would learn from the course, how to assess what each job you quote for needs in terms of equipment to work safely.

So u reckon these towers are much safer than ladders, maybe not as good as scaffold though?

I'll call them. Thxs for the link

Sponsored Links
Where you do have bolts they have to be regularly tested. They can corode, or they might just have not been fitted right in the first place. Defects are not evident until you apply a load i.e. you fall off.

If you’re going to end up hanging in mid air, it’s essential that there are other people around who are trained to get you down quickly and safely. On jobs like these facias, it’s probably safer to hit the ground than to be suspended mid air by yourself. Crash mats would be a better solution.

(I used to be a caver. I knew a few people who worked as tree surgeons, rope-access window cleaners, etc. because they had the required rope skills. One guy used to say he abseiled inside nuclear reactors. We spent a lot of time hanging out of trees practicing how to rescue someone who was stuck mid-rope.)

Why is it safer to hit the ground and die or be paralysed than be swinging around in the air?

Because suspended in a harness without somebody to get you down can lead to a number of equally serious consequences.

Have a quick look for "suspension trauma" on the web

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it safer to hit the ground and die or be paralysed than be swinging around in the air?

That’s what you’ll learn if you do the course...

But basically, being hung in a harness is not good for you - for example you’ll lose circulation to your legs quite quickly.
An unconcious hanging body - e.g. if you hit your head before coming to rest - will be a dead hanging body very soon. You need to be concious to maintain posture in the harness. The evolution of safety harnesses has largely been about this aspect.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I did call a safety guy and he said the same about swinging from a harness. Need another person present to get u down. There is a device for £1000 which lowers u but that's not going to happen.

He did say though that a harness and rope could work on a roof because you keep rope tight and so shouldn't fall off so won't be in the 'swinging scenario' which like you said causes seizures. The rope is tied to something a tree/car or a device the other side of house.

My idea - In my picture the right side could have a tower for access onto a roofing ladder and when moving up ladder your harness is attached to rope thrown over other side of house and attach to a tree. Also, if possible rachet tower to the building.

The mitower doesn't need a course. The course is for higher towers. Will do it when I need to hire one for over 6 metre working height

The bloke who owns the house in picture, his neighbour has a tower. If it's no good I'll get a mitower and maybe roofing ladder for right side. Looking at getting a belt and rope for that side as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back