Accidentally painted on wet plaster...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a bedroom replastered a week ago. 3 of the walls were dry but one was still slightly damp. I painted regardless having been told by a couple of people that it should be fine (a mistake I now know!). Having applied 3 coats of dulux Matt yesterday, I checked the room today and the damp wall is a different colour shade to the rest of the room (and is still slightly damp). My question is - have I totally ruined that wall or will it just dry out through time? What should I expect to happen? Will I perhaps need to let it dry out and then re-paint? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Simon

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't be a problem. It should dry OK.

As the rhyme almost goes.......

Painter Painter on the wall,

You know you shouldn't be there at all.

You know the wall has just been plastered,

Get off the wall you

naughty little painter

It might flake or peel after a while, best just to let it dry out naturally, chances are you may well get away with it.

Regards,
footprints

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

To update you on this, it didn't turn out good.

The wall dried and left a visible damp stain through the paint (looks as if the wall is dirty). I've reapplied paint on top to no avail - the stain always comes back through. The wall itself also smells fausty (presumably because I'd trapped the dampness underneath).

It's now been 3 months so my intention is to sand the wall back, removing all the paint, apply an undercoat / primer again and then paint on top. Does this sound like a good idea?

Just give it a quick sand smooth then an oil undercoat.

If the paint hasn't dried by now then you have a damp wall!!! Therefore you should find out what is causing the damp and rectify it. did the plasterer just skim over the existing plastered walls?

The plasterer did skim over existing walls.

The problem we had is that roof work was being done a few weeks before (during that period of torrential rain in April). The water got in and streamed down that wall. But it was a few weeks later that the plasterer then skimmed.

The wall is no longer damp (certainly not to touch). I'm assuming the smell is a by-product of never drying out properly?

Roy c is correct, if there is still a mark, you (could?) have damp in the wall, all plastered walls dry relatively quickly, simply because the brickwork behind the plaster is bone dry.

Re skims dry out very quickly, i have skimmed walls in the morning and they have been almost bone dry at knock off time, that is in the summer of course with a breeze blowing through the house, but that gives you some indication of how quickly re skimed walls do dry out.

Have you tried a damp metre on that patch? That would be my next move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back