Accumulator problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a problem with a newly fitted accumulator in our new loft conversion.

The first shower is great, but when the next person wants a shower ten minutes later it's fine for a bit and then they run out of water. Not just low pressure but zero pressure. Eventually it comes back but it takes hours and generally the flow is full of air for about 5 mins on each tap.

So, my question is, has it been wrongly fitted or wrongly commissioned or both?

Thanks!

Paul

Sponsored Links
It seems like you have the wrong size accumulator and it can not keep up with the demand

You need to call the installer back

Oh no! I really hope not. It is a 240 which as far as I can tell from the website should be fine. I would have hoped it would still produce more than a few drops of water once it was empty too?

Sponsored Links
have you checked the pressure is set correctly?
It should be at least 0.5 bars below the incoming main, but don't forget that the main will lose 0.1 bar for each meter it has to go upwards, so don't forget to take that into account.

if you don't know where to look, there is a small (about 3/4" wide) black plastic cap on the top, (not in the center). unscrew that anti-clockwise, and you will see a small valve, same as on a tire of your car. use a air pressure gauge to check the pressure, don't forget to close the main first and empty the tank first.

Lolli

Oh no! I really hope not. It is a 240 which as far as I can tell from the website should be fine. I would have hoped it would still produce more than a few drops of water once it was empty too?

an accumulator dont produce jack

all it does is store pressure hence the name

as above before anything else check the flowrate of the shower and the precharge of the accumulator :idea:

The more I look at the way it's plumbed in the more I worry.

I've just looked and it's actually a zilmet 300 litre tank. They have plumbed the mains water in one end and the draw off for the boiler and taps at the other.

My guess is the air pressure in the tank is too high so no water can pass through from one end to the other.

But I am an IT consultant not a plumber - is what I'm saying possible?

The accumulator can't stop the water, unless of course it's blocked.
If you do the arithmetic you find that the precharge pressure should be the same as the water pressure where the accumulator is while the shower is on full, ie the dynamic pressure.

paul.freeland";p="1451123 said:
The more I look at the way it's plumbed in the more I worry.

I've just looked and it's actually a zilmet 300 litre tank. They have plumbed the mains water in one end and the draw off for the boiler and taps at the other.

All of the accumulators I have seen only have one pipe connection , e.g the incoming water main , am I misunderstanding the above statement or am I just wrong ??

I have looked , not a very good connection , if you go into for example O.S.O hotwater cylinders , in particular the tech ' of the O.S.O dualstream system which is an accumulater system .

I've just not seen an accumulatr with 2 connections e.g mains in , mains out , doesnt' mean to say there is not one , but I am interested , any one out there who has ??

That's how I read the document - thanks- but like I say I'm pretty ignorant.

Anyone else's opinion is welcome. (of the accumulator, not my ignorance!)

Cheers

Paul

Sorry, I didn't mean that how it reads!

What I meant was - thanks! I hadn't trusted my own opinion, but I'm happier to trust yours!

I assume that the accumulater does not have 2 connections ? and is therefore not piped up wrong ? are you sure you dont have a prob' with your incoming water main to the cylinder e.c.t , are all the valves fully open , all an accumulater does is store water at pressure via a internal neoprene 'bladder' ,in theory you should be able to turn your supply off , and still virtually fill a bath with the accumulated water???if the internall bladder is split or punctured u should get water out the shraider type valve . ????however if your incoming supply , flowrateto the cylinder is so bad than thats why you are running out of water , the accumulater will only hold a certain amount of water its being exhausted . I think , dfer to kevplumb .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back