Accurate birdsmouth for ashlar stud advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm doing a loft conversion and the SE has designed an Ashlar stud wall which requires a 4x2 top plate birdsmouth jointed to the existing rafter.

I could really do with some advice on how to cut them regularly and accurately across the full width of the roof.

Naturally the rafters are Victorian and some irregularly shaped, just make things more interesting!

Many thanks in advance!
James

Sponsored Links
you can build your stud wall and then offer it to the rafters and with a saw lying on top of the wall as a guide cut into the rafters, don't cut into them any more than a third.

Thanks Catlad - simple ideas are the best!

If I slightly over cut a joint or two is it acceptable to pack with something non-compressible, like meta plate?

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Good advice from catlad - just a thought from me ;)- is there some type of Simpson Strong Tie that would do the job - seems a bit brutal and awkward cutting out existing rafters which will be variable in position, as you surmised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back