Acl Mid position valve has 4 black cores

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to look at a heating system which has never worked properly. Having checked all components of the Y-plan I am only to figure out if the mid position is wired correctly. the problem being is that it is wired in a five core flex containing four black numbered cores and an earth core. Has anybody came across this wiring before or know which numbered core does which. As it is wired now the valve remains in mid position on hot water only and will not operate in heating only.

Sponsored Links
if it's a MA1 remove power from all wires and it should fall to its relaxed position which is hw only.

sounds like the valve is more likely jammed.

Are you sure the actuator isn't wired into a junction box & then another cable into the terminal box? , if so open the junction box & you should be able to trace where the 'numbered' core connect to the coloured core on the actuator.

Just trace which wires do which. It was quite common on old Satchwell Valves to run all black to the wiring centre, which you can trace from there.

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
i have turned power off to valve but it remains in mid position I think. I have a new valve ready to replace this old one as soon as my plumber mate has time but it is frustrating thinking it could just be a wiring fault. Just incase anyone knows the correct wiring this one is wired as follows
1 = hot water off
2 = heating on
3 = hot water on/boiler switch
4 = neutral
green = CPC

remove the actuator and turn the spindle you may free it to get you by for now.
or aleast get hw only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back