Acoustic Insulation under bedroom floor - suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was wondering if anyone would suggest an acoustic insulation product to place under the floorboards of the floor of a 1st floor bedroom? Also, what slab thickness?

Living room underneath. I don't want to change the original floorboards for ply.

Joists are 19 cm deep.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I've always just used the 100mm slab
If using 100mm slab under traditional floorboards, and retaining the floorboards, do you have to lift all the boards to get the slab in or can you lift one board every so often and push/pull the slab through?

Or quilt might be easier to fit in to suit the joist spacings. Look on any insulation company website for technical details on upgrading of sound insulation of existing suspended timber floors.

I used 100mm Rockwool RW3 - top stuff and is easily cut with a bread knife for installation. I didn't lift all boards and was able to slide the insulation under 3 or 4 boards width.

I used loose lay insulation , lifted a couple of boards and made small panel on end of stick to push up to 3m each way .
But thick carpet underlay is more effective as it cushions entire floor while sound can travel easily thru timber and plasterboard around insulation .

I used loose lay insulation , lifted a couple of boards and made small panel on end of stick to push up to 3m each way .
But thick carpet underlay is more effective as it cushions entire floor while sound can travel easily thru timber and plasterboard around insulation .
Good points, but there are different ways sound travels of course as impact, airborne and structure borne sound. So thick carpet and underlay is good in addition to acoustic insulation between joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back