Acoustic plasterboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone here have much experience on installing acustic plaster boards?

Do they really improve sound insulation for a house? Any positive / negative comments?

Sponsored Links
I used them on our timber frame extension as part of improved sound insulation.

The theory is that they should be better than not using them, but without a comparative extension, it's impossible to tell how much better. They weren't much more than standard boards though.

You will need to pay attention to other detailing too, if sound may be an issue, and if need be consider other products.

Other products like acustic rockwool or it's similar derivative?

How much thicker are they and % wise how much more costly for the same size boards?

Fermacell, MDF, fibreboard, MgO boards or cement bonded particle board such as Versapanel.

These can replace plasterboard. But cost and comparative effectiveness you'll have to research

Sponsored Links
You need to stop the sound vibrations getting into the fabric of the building. Insulating afterwards is futile.

I've just installed these but as has been said above...it's a bit of a slippery slope. If you're not willing to go the whole hog and ensure that everything is fully sealed to allow no sound through, then you may as well just use standard plasterboard. To be at their best, they should be on resilient bars fixed back to the studs. Everything just be finished with acoustic sealant etc....it's alot of work and money to do it properly, and if you start to cut corners, you may as well not bother.

I've came to the conclusion that as I got the acoustic plasterboard (Gyproc SoundBloc in my case) for the same price as standard, I'd just use it anyway. If it helps, great...

You need to stop the sound vibrations getting into the fabric of the building. Insulating afterwards is futile.

What examples do you mean? TV in a wall alcove or washing machine against a wall?

I've just installed these but as has been said above...it's a bit of a slippery slope. If you're not willing to go the whole hog and ensure that everything is fully sealed to allow no sound through, then you may as well just use standard plasterboard. To be at their best, they should be on resilient bars fixed back to the studs. Everything just be finished with acoustic sealant etc....it's alot of work and money to do it properly, and if you start to cut corners, you may as well not bother.

I've came to the conclusion that as I got the acoustic plasterboard (Gyproc SoundBloc in my case) for the same price as standard, I'd just use it anyway. If it helps, great...

12.5mm or the 15mm type? Can I ask where you got yours from to get them at the same / lowest price?

If you look on the manufacturers websites you should discover acoustic board spec and fixing recommendations. Try Siniat, British Gypsum and others. You may also need to use special metal noise reduction fixing strips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back