Acrylic eggshell onto existing eggshell - is sanding reqd?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above! The ceiling is wood cladding previously painted with eggshell. Do I need to rub down before applying acrylic eggshell. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes diffinatly

The paint companies recommend using acrylic eggshell over oil based to bring it up to a water based system, however adhesion is a real problem..I have done this on a small cupboard, you could peel the water based stuff off with your finger nail...not good

Its also been know to ciss/cess up because your putting water over oil

I would give it a really good rub down a coat of acrylic primer undercoat then your acrylic eggshell

Thanks again Zampa. Is the acrylic primer/undercoat not water based as well? Presumably has properties that will avoid the potential problems you mentioned.

Yep..it will 'bite' better than the eggshell.

Matt masonry paint is also a good one...its full of acrylic and sticks well..ive used it as a wood primer when ive been stuck and its worked a treat.

Failing that you could also go over it with a oil based undercoat instead..problem is the fumes will be heavy.

Sponsored Links
Another satisifed customer

Next........................................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back