acrylic paint v Oil paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to this forum so I don't know if this has been posted before.
So,here goes .Can anyone tell me if it is OK to use Acrylic primer,undercoat and gloss paints for normal household uses.
I ask this because it does appear to be so much cheaper than ordinary oil paints even when provided by the same manufacturer.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Its fine to use inside the house. I personally dont like it and will always use oil based products if possible but the acrylic does have its uses, ie no smell, can be used near food areas, or people with breathing probs. They have come along way over the last few years but i dont care what you say they are still c*%p outside.

Hi Robbie
Thank you for your reply and expert advice.
I will now use Acrylic paint as, apart from
the advantages you listed, for my own personal use I would add "quick drying", "convenience/not sticky" and of course a big point to me is "ease of cleaning brushes" (please don't laugh.
I am not sure of your comment in your last sentenc but I have assumed that you are saying that acrylic costs as much or even dearer than oil paint.
However when I looked in the Screwfix catalouge (I don't know whether I am supposed to say that here) the price of Acrylic primer/undercoat is £7.49 per 2.5 L whilst All purpose Primer (presumably oil bound) was £12.99 per 2.5L. Quite a difference really for what I want.
Before I sign off may I prevail on your expert advice once more by asking is it OK to apply Acrylic paint over old Oil gloss paint and conversly is it OK to apply Oil gloss over Acrylic under coat.
Thank you again for your help and of course for your interest.
Cheers and regards,
Tony

The acrylic paint has many advantages and has been improved over the years in the way its made and can be used. But....it cant relly be used over gloss paint as the gloss would be to shiny and smooth for it to adhere to and would most likley come off in sheets if it were knocked, The oil based paint can be used over the acrylic though, no probs. The acrylic, as a primer whilst very quick drying, does not penetrate into new wood and really only sits on the surface. This causes problems outside as the wood expands and contracts with the changing temperatures and as the acylic gives quite a hard finish, cannot cope with the expansion and starts to flake off. Many new builds are done like this, mainly for speed and can be seen flaking off to bare wood only months later. It tends to be cheaper in price as its only water based and personally i dont think it can compare with oil based paints. Some might disagree... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi Robbie
Thank you for your further reply and advice.
Having given more thought to your comments and obviously expert knowledge on the subject, I have now come round to your way of thinking and I will stay with oil paints.
Thank you again for your help and of course your interest,
Cheers and regards,
Tony

Thanks, i've been painting 30 yrs next month. Its what you get used to really. Most decorators will have used and tried most of the products on the market at some stage and will get used to using certain products they feel happy with. When you go back to clients on a regular basis you can see how the product used has lasted or not and learn sometimes by your mistakes. :confused: My dad was painting for 60 years until he died.

Can't beat lead paint! Well thats what my grandfather used to say!

And here is his advert.
:D :D

750109458_8800df5c78_o.jpg

[/url]

Hi again Robbie
You have got quite a painting pedigree there --What 90 years in all.
I bet you even have paint in your veins instead of blood.
Cheers and thanks
Tony

Hi Fred nice to meet you.
I like it !.
Cheers
Tony

It does'nt end there. My grandfather was painting till he was 65, my great grandfather was still painting at 79 yrs old and my great, great grandfather who started the company in 1860 was painting till he was about 40 but left to join the police. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back